Kabul: At least 16 workers of a private construction company in Nangarhar were killed and 9 others were wounded after gunmen stormed the company, provincial governor spokesman Khogyani said.

Two attackers detonated their explosives at a construction company near the main airport in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province in Afghanistan on Wednesday. The suicide blast took place after a clash escalated between the militants and security forces, said governor’s spokesman Khogyani.

According to Tolonews, the spokesperson added that three employees of a construction company were killed and six civilians were wounded in the ongoing attack.

Police chief General Ghulam Sanayee Stanikzai stated that five more people were injured when the suicide bomber detonated his explosives at the company gate earlier on Wednesday morning. Stanikzai added that several other attackers also stormed inside the company. Therefore, the death toll in the gunbattle is likely to rise further.

Meanwhile, US forces rushed to the spot where the blast occurred, said the police chief. Although nobody came forward to claim immediate responsibility for the attack, reports suggested that both the Taliban and the Islamic State group are active in the  Nangarhar province of eastern Afghanistan.

(With Agency inputs)