Ankara: The death toll in Ankara high-speed train crash rose to nine on Thursday. Transport Minister Cahit Turhan told reporters in televised remarks that three of those killed were operators of the train. One of the victims died in hospital, he added.
Turhan added that 47 people were injured and were in hospital for treatment. The fast train had been on its way from Ankara’s main station to the central province of Konya. There were 206 passengers on board.
Earlier, Turhan had said the accident took place six minutes after the train left Ankara as it entered the Marsandiz station.
Images published by Turkish media showed some wagons had derailed and debris from the train scattered on the rail track, which was covered in snow.
The windows of one wagon were completely broken while another wagon had been smashed after hitting the footbridge, which also collapsed, an AFP correspondent at the scene said.
The Ankara public prosecutor launched an investigation into the crash, state news agency Anadolu reported.
The Ankara to Konya high-speed route was launched in 2011 and was followed in 2014 with a high-speed link between Ankara and Istanbul.
The accident comes after another rail disaster in July this year when 24 people were killed and hundreds more injured after a train derailed in Tekirdag province, northwest Turkey, due to ground erosion following heavy rains.
(With PTI inputs)