New Delhi: With 132 new cases of deaths from coronavirus, the death toll jumped to 2,000 on Wednesday in Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak. Also Read - India to Send Military Aircraft to Evacuate Citizens From Coronavirus-hit Wuhan on February 20

In its daily update, the province’s health commission also reported 1,693 new cases of people infected with the virus. This brings the total number of cases in mainland China past 74,000. Wednesday’s jump in the death toll was an increase on Tuesday’s figures, although the number of new cases reported in Hubei was the lowest for a week, reported AFP. Despite the reported fall in the numbers, the World Health Organization has cautioned that it was too early to tell if the decline would continue. The director of a hospital in the central Hubei city of Wuhan became the seventh medical worker to succumb to the COVID-19 illness on Tuesday. Also Read - ‘Govt Reviews Coronavirus Impact on Industry, no Concern Over Price Rise,' Assures Sitharaman



Amid the outbreak of the disease, Russia has decided to temporarily ban Chinese nationals from entering the country, Russian authorities said. The entry ban goes into effect Thursday at midnight Moscow time (2100 GMT) for an indefinite period, according to a decree signed by Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin. Also Read - Chinese Envoy Sun Weidong Thanks India For Help, Says ‘Coronavirus Now Under Control’

So far, Russia has had only three confirmed cases of the COVID-19 disease caused by the virus two Chinese citizens who were treated and released, and a Russian national infected on the Diamond Princess cruise ship now quarantined in Japan.



(With Agency Inputs)