New Delhi: At a time when the deadly coronavirus has claimed more than 1,000 lives in China and affected more than 40,000 people, the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Tuesday officially gave a new name to the killer virus— ‘COVID-19’. An announcement to this effect was made by WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. Also Read - Indian National Infected With Coronavirus In UAE, 8th Case in the Country
“We now have a name for the 2019nCoV (#Coronavirus) disease – ‘COVID-19’,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said. Also Read - Wuhan Virus: Interactive Map Shows Global Novel Coronavirus Spread in Real-time
He also said that outside China, there are 393 cases in 24 countries with the report of one death. “As of 6 AM Geneva time this morning, there were 42,708 confirmed #COVID19 cases reported in China and we’ve now surpassed 1000 deaths-1017 people in China have lost their lives to this virus,” he added.
The move comes after the WHO earlier in the day said that the coronavirus outbreak poses a very grave threat for the rest of the world.
“With 99 per cent of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world,” Ghebreyesus said.
He further added that China so far has reported 42,708 confirmed cases, including 1,017 deaths. The death toll in the coronavirus outbreak in China has now reached more than 1,000, after 108 people died from the virus on Monday, the highest daily toll since the outbreak began late last year.