Jakarta: The death toll in the landslide that hit Indonesia’s Java has increased to 38, with one person still missing, government authorities said on Sunday. The rescuers are trying to find the last victim believed to be buried under soil which slid when the disaster hit Sukabumi district, a government official told Xinhua news agency.

Earlier on January 2, 15 persons died in the landslide. Government official had reported that many are still missing.

Spokesman of the National Disaster Management Agency Sutopo Purwo Nugroho had said that there is a threat of another landslide. Heavy rainfall was blamed for the disaster.

Floods and landslides affect Indonesia every year during the rainy season, which lasts from December to February.

More than 20 people died in October when flash floods and landslides hit several provinces on Sumatra island, western Indonesia.

In June 2016, nearly 50 people died when floods and landslides struck Banjarnegara regency, Central Java province.