Washington, Jan 31: The United States President Donald Trump on Wednesday delivered the State of the Union address in the US capital. This was first such address by Donald Trump after his accession to power. He talked about fixing immigration loopholes, bolstering infrastructure, and protecting American jobs and its people. He vowed to ensure safety of people of the United States. Trump also talked about modernising and rebuilding nuclear arsenal. He said that the country must make it so strong that it deters any act of aggression. Also Read - Letter Containing Poison Nearly Reaches Donald Trump Via White House
“As part of our defense, we must modernize and rebuild our nuclear arsenal, hopefully never having to use it, but making it so strong and powerful that it will deter any acts of aggression. Perhaps someday in the future there will be a magical moment when the countries of the world will get together to eliminate their nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, we are not there yet, sadly,” he said. Also Read - Envelope Containing Poison Ricin Sent to President Trump at White House Intercepted
Donald Trump said in his speech that the people of the United States were the most fearless, daring and determined people on Earth. “If there is a mountain, we climb it. If there is a frontier, we cross it. If there is a challenge, we tame it. If there is an opportunity, we seize it,” Trump said. Also Read - US SC Justice Ginsburg Dies Setting up Pre-poll Confrontation
Talking about trade, he said that the United States had sacrificed its prosperity due to unfair deals. He said the deals shipped American companies, jobs and wealth away. He said that the era of economic surrender was over. He stressed on the need to invest in opening vocational schools.
Donald Trump outlined his vision to give citizenship for 1.8 million undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States by their parents as children. Here are the top quotes and highlights.
- “Tonight, I am calling on the Congress to finally close the deadly loopholes that have allowed MS-13, and other criminals, to break into our country. We have proposed new legislation that will fix our immigration laws, and support our ICE and Border Patrol Agents – these are great people, these are great people that work so hard in the midst of such danger. ”
- “America has also finally turned the page on decades of unfair trade deals that sacrificed our prosperity and shipped away our companies, our jobs, and our wealth. The nations has lost its wealth but we’re getting it back so fast. The era of economic surrender is over. From now on, we expect trading relationships to be fair and more importantly reciprocal.”
- He says fixing drug prices is his government’s top priority. He said his government will bring down the prices drastically.
- “I will not stop until our veterans are properly taken care of, which has been my promise to them from the very beginning of this great journey” he says.
- Donald Trump said that the government gave massive cuts to the middle class and small businesses. He said that now, the first $24,000 earned by a married couple is completely tax-free. He said that they slashed the tax bill of average Americans by half.
- “This is our new American moment. There has never been a better time to start living the American Dream,” he said.
- “So to every citizen watching at home tonight — no matter where you have been, or where you come from, this is your time. If you work hard, if you believe in yourself, if you believe in America, then you can dream anything, you can be anything, and together, we can achieve absolutely anything,” he added.
- Talking about his achievements, he said the United States created 2.4 million new jobs. He said that 200,000 new jobs in manufacturing alone. He also said that the unemployment rate of the African-American people stood at its lowest ever figure. He also talked about the tax benefits his government gave to low-income and mid-income workers.
- “Over the last year, the world has seen what we always knew: that no people on Earth are so fearless, or daring, or determined as Americans.”
- “I call upon all of us to set aside our differences, to seek out common ground, and to summon the unity we need to deliver for the people we were elected to serve.”
- “To everyone still recovering in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, California, and everywhere else– we are with you, we love you, and we will always pull through together. Always,” Trump says.
- A new tide of optimism was already sweeping across our land. Each day since we have gone forward… to make America great again, for all Americans: Donald Trump said at House Chambers. He said that the world has seen America’s soul and the steel in America’s spine in adverse circumstances.
Donald Trump was expected to speak on topics like immigration, trade, the economic state of the country, infrastructure and other issues that afflict the economic condition of the United States. One of the prime focus of his address was expected to be international trade and immigration– which had been focal points of his presidential campaign.
Donald Trump had been glossing over his achievements as the President of the United States recently. He had patted his own back at the World Economic Forum. More recently, Trump tweeted about the state of economy: “Our economy is better than it has been in many decades. Businesses are coming back to America like never before. Chrysler, as an example, is leaving Mexico and coming back to the USA. Unemployment is nearing record lows. We are on the right track!”
Trump on Monday said that he would talk about the proposed overhaul of immigration in his speech. He said that it would have to be bipartisan as the Republicans don’t have the votes to get it done. Trump said that the world had been using the United States for trade– which would have to be changed. He further said that countries will have to reciprocate now.