Gara-Bokka: The Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 that crashed minutes after take off from the Addis Ababa airport on Sunday, killing all on-board, emitted smoke and was making strange rattling noise before the tragedy, witnesses were quoted as saying in a report.

The Nairobi-bound flight 302 took off on Sunday morning and was carrying 157 people, including eight crew members and 149 passengers. Among the dead, four were Indians. If reports are to be believed, the pilot of the aircraft had sought the permission to return, but it was too late.

“It was a loud rattling sound. Like straining and shaking metal,” Turn Buzuna, a 26-year-old housewife and farmer who lives about 300 meters (328 yards) from the crash site, was quoted as saying by Reuters. Several other farmers in the area narrated similar story.

The investigators on March 11 recovered one out of two black box recorders from the wreckage of the Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737.

The deceased included ‘at least a dozen’ UN-affiliated staff headed for an annual assembly of the UN Environment Programme, with some 4,700 heads of state, ministers, business leaders, senior UN officials and civil society representatives.

The UK and Malaysia on Tuesday banned Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes from their airspace. The development comes a day after Aviation Regulator of Singapore announced its decision to ground all the Boeing 737 Max 8 planes following the Ethiopian Airlines crash. Hours after the mishap took place, China’s aviation regulator also grounded all flights of that model.

Further, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) also announced that 737 MAX 8 aircraft will be grounded with immediate effect until appropriate modifications and safety measures are undertaken to ensure their safe operations.

The statement issued by DGCA read, “We continue to consult closely with regulators around the world, airlines, and aircraft manufacturers to ensure passenger safety.”

The plane is the same type as the Indonesian Lion Air jet that crashed in October, 13 minutes after takeoff from Jakarta, killing all 189 people on board.