New Delhi: A week after thousands of high-paid engineers and others walked out protesting against sexual harassment at the workplace, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said that the company has worked out a new comprehensive policy and will take more powerful steps to address the issue. “We (Google) have not not always gotten everything right in the past and we are sincerely sorry for that. It’s clear we need to make some changes,” Pichai on Thursday said, in an email to Google workers.
Furthermore he said, “We will provide more transparency on how we handle concerns. We’ll give better support and care to the people who raise them. The company will take more powerful steps to address sexual harassment, including making arbitration optional for individual sexual harassment and sexual assault claims.”
“We’re revamping the way we handle and look into your concerns… we will update and expand our mandatory sexual harassment training. “We will double down on our commitment to be a representative, equitable, and respectful workplace,” Pichai promised.
Notably, Pichai’s disclosure came after over 20,000 Google employees worldwide walked out last week protesting against the sexual harassment at the company.
If reports are to be believed, the new policy changes unveiled by Google have virtually met most of the requirements demanded by protesting employees, except the one that demanded a place for an employee representative on the company’s board. Organisers of last week’s massive protests called for more transparency in handling sexual harassment, employee empowerment, and inequality over pay and work opportunities.