Ajaccio (France), Dec 28: Hundreds of people have marched in Corsica after two days of violent anti-Arab riots, sidestepping a ban on demonstrations in a flashpoint neighbourhood by taking their protests elsewhere in the capital. (ALSO READ: Burj Khalifa’s observation deck named world’s best attraction) Also Read - Singapore Fan Thanking For Removing Stigma Around Mental Health is Basically All Deepika Padukone Fans!
Two people were detained over days of rioting on the French Mediterranean island, which saw demonstrators vandalise a Muslim prayer hall and set fire to books including copies of the Quran.
Hundreds marched through poor areas of the capital Ajaccio on Saturday for a second straight day, shouting slogans such as “This is our home!” and “Arabs get out”. Also Read - Ships locked together after Mediterranean collision break free
Corsica’s administrator Christophe Mirmand announced a ban on all protests and gatherings until at least January 4 in the poor Jardins de l’Empereur housing estate, the epicentre of the violence.
But hundreds took to the streets again yesterday, dodging the ban by marching through other Ajaccio neighbourhoods chanting: “We fight against scum, not against Arabs!” “We aren’t thugs, we aren’t racists,” they cried as they marched to the police station and then through several low-income areas, before returning to the Jardins de l’Empereur estate where they were blocked by police. Also Read - Fuel spill feared as cargo ships collide off Corsica
The unrest followed a Christmas Eve clash in which two firefighters and a police officer were injured at the estate, home to some 1,700 people, half of them of non-French origin.Regional official Francois Lalanne said a fire had been deliberately lit in the neighbourhood in a ruse aimed at “ambushing” the emergency services.
A firefighter told French television that about 20 people armed with iron bars and baseball bats had tried to attack them, but were unable to smash through the windows of their truck.Two men in their 20s were held in custody as part of a probe into the unrest.”Their involvement in the attack against the firefighters is still under investigation,” said prosecutor Eric Bouillard, adding the men had had brushes with authorities in the past.