Israel PM Netanyahu sacks defence minister Yoav Gallant over lack of trust amid ongoing war with Gaza
Israel PM Netanyahu sacks defence minister Yoav Gallant over ‘lack of trust’ amid ongoing war with Gaza
Foreign Minister Israel Katz has been appointed as the new defense minister. Netanyahu praised Katz's capabilities, citing his experience and contributions to national security.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant attend a ceremony for the 70th cohort of military combat officers, at an army base near Mitzpe Ramon, Israel, October 31, 2024. (Reuters)
Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, citing an erosion of trust during Israel’s ongoing Gaza war against Hamas. This decision follows frequent disagreements between Netanyahu and Gallant over the military approach in response to the October 7 Hamas attack on Israel last year. Netanyahu emphasized that “full trust” between himself and the defense minister is essential, especially in wartime, and noted that this trust had been strong initially but had deteriorated over recent months.
Foreign Minister Israel Katz has been appointed as the new defense minister. Netanyahu praised Katz’s capabilities, citing his experience and contributions to national security.
“In the midst of a war, more than ever, full trust between the prime minister and the defence minister is required,” Netanyahu said in a statement issued by his office. “Although in the first months of the campaign there was such trust and very productive work, over the past few months that trust has eroded,” he added.
What Netanyahu said?
Times of Israel quoted a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office which stated that Netanyahu informed Gallant that his tenure as the Defence Minister would end “48 hours from the receipt of this letter.” “I would like to thank you for your service as defense minister,” the curt letter concluded, as per Times of Israel.
Add India.com as a Preferred Source
“Unfortunately, although in the first months of the war, there was trust and there was very fruitful work, during the last months this trust cracked between me and the defence minister,” Netanyahu said in a video statement, as per Times of Israel.
He says they disagreed on the management of the war and charged that Gallant made statements and took actions that contradict cabinet decisions. Netanyahu also accused Gallant of indirectly aiding Israel’s enemies: “I made many attempts to bridge these gaps, but they kept getting wider,” Times of Israel quoted him as saying.
“They also came to the knowledge of the public in an unacceptable way, and worse than that, they came to the knowledge of the enemy — our enemies enjoyed it and derived a lot of benefit from it,” Times of Israel quoted Netanyahu.
Gallant reacts
Following the dismissal, Gallant said in a post on X that the security of Israel would always be the mission of his life. “The security of the State of Israel was and will always remain the mission of my life,” he said.
Yoav Gallant later clarified the reasons behind his dismissal, citing three key issues: the drafting of Haredi men into the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), the effort to retrieve hostages from Gaza, and the need for an official inquiry into the October 7 Hamas attack. Gallant explained that the ultra-Orthodox Haredi parties within the coalition had threatened to withdraw their support unless legislation was passed to exempt Haredi men from military service.
He also emphasized the importance of rescuing the 101 Israeli hostages still held in Gaza, even if it meant allowing Hamas to retain control over the region. Lastly, Gallant advocated for a state commission to investigate the October 7 attack, during which Hamas militants killed approximately 1,200 people and captured 251 hostages in southern Israel.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts Cookies Policy.