Bethlehem, Apr 21: Israeli police said today a Hamas militant carried out a “suicide” bus bombing in Jerusalem that wounded 20 people, in the first such attack since a wave of violence erupted in October. The attacker, a 19-year-old from Beit Jala near Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank, died from his wounds yesterday, two days after the bombing. Hamas had previously said he was a member of the militant group and that he had carried out the attack, while his mother told AFP he had idolised an assassinated bombmaker from the Islamist movement. Israeli police lifted a gag order on elements of the case today, confirming Abdel Hamid Abu Sorur as the assailant and specifically calling it a “suicide attack”. Also Read - Despite Surge in COVID19 Cases, Israel to Start Welcoming International Tourists in May | Know Details

The police also said they made several arrests of Hamas militants suspected of helping to plan the bombing. Monday’s bus attack is the first suicide bombing in a nearly seven-month wave of violence. Most of the attacks have been stabbings, while car-rammings and shootings have also occurred. While Hamas praised his actions and hailed him as a martyr, the Islamist movement that runs the Gaza Strip did not formally claim the attack. It said his death “will continue to fuel the uprising”.(Also Read: Israel responsible for airstrikes in Syria: Benjamin Netanyahu) Also Read - Photo Of Missile Attack On Israeli Ship That Was On Way To Mundra Port Emerges

Hamas officials in Gaza declined to comment today, only welcoming the attack. His mother, Azhar Abu Suror, told AFP in an interview that she did not know he was a Hamas member. On Monday before the bombing, she said “he was normal and we ate lunch together and he was laughing. Then he told me he was going out to buy something and will come back.” “Everyone was with the resistance and supporting the resistance,” she said. “But for him, his role model was Yahya Ayash.” Also Read - Israel Election: Benjamin Netanyahu's Fate Hangs on Tuesday's Vote