Kabul, Jan 27: At least 95 persons lost their lives and 140 were injured in a bomb attack near the Ministry of Interior building in Kabul, Afghanistan on Saturday. According to a report, terrorists drove an ambulance and exploded it near the sensitive diplomatic area in Kabul. Taliban took the responsibility for the attack. [Also read: India Condemns Kabul Hotel Attack, Says Strong Action Needed on Terror Safe Havens in Pakistan]Also Read - Afghan Women Protest Against Restrictions Imposed By Taliban

Witnesses said they saw a plume of smoke rising in the sky after the blast. The casualties are expected to rise as the injured were shifted to the nearest hospital for treatment. Kabul has seen a slew of terror attacks in recent days. In a similar attack, at least 4o people had lost their lives at Intercontinental hotel on January 20. Also Read - China Pledges to Help Taliban ‘Rebuild the Country’ in Doha Meeting

Also Read - Facing School Ban, Afghan Girls Join Vocational Centres; Learn Tailoring and Cosmetology

“The latest toll from Kabul hospitals stands at 40 martyred and 140 wounded,” AFP quoted health ministry spokesman Waheed Majroh as saying.

The explosion rattled many buildings in the area where the windows were spotted broken. The security forces launched an investigation after the attack. The agencies had released an alert to the people that extremist groups may attack important and strategic buildings in the capital.

Mir Wais, a member of parliament said the attack was carried out by terrorists when the ambulance passed a checkpoint in the area. He added that bodies were lying everywhere and people rushed to help the injured in the attack.

Anguished after the attack, the residents of Kabul appealed for peace. “Give Kabul a break, please! We’re still counting dead bodies of last week’s InterCon attack when a dozen plus killed & scores wounded in today’s car bombing on a public road,” tweeted Lotfullah Najafizada.