Seoul, May 25: Kim Jong Un is still willing to meet United States President Donald Trump “at any time and in any way,” North Korea said on Friday after the June 12 summit in Singapore stood cancelled. “We reiterate to the US that we are willing to sit face to face at any time and in any way,” said Kim Kye Gwan, a top official at North Korea’s Foreign Ministry.
Donald Trump, who cancelled the upcoming summit with North Korea on Thursday, said that calling it off is a lost opportunity for the latter and the world. According to local media, during remarks at the White House, Trump termed the summit’s cancellation a ‘tremendous setback’ for the North Koreans and the world alike. (Full text of the letter written to Kim Jong Un)
“The world, and North Korea in particular, has lost a great opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth. This missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history,” Trump said in a letter to Kim Jong-un.
As per a release by the White House on May 24, United States President Donald Trump blamed the ‘hostility’ and anger displayed by North Korea regarding the US-South Korea Max military drills for calling off the summit. “Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, l feel it is inappropriate at this time to have this long-planned meeting,” Donald Trump said.
Trump further took a dig at Kim Jong-un by saying that “You talk about your nuclear capabilities. But ours are so massive and powerful that l pray to God they will never have to be used”.
He also extended his gratitude towards Kim for releasing three US prisoners Kim Hak-song, Tony Kim and Kim Dong-Chul who were held captive on charges of espionage or for doing “hostile acts” against the North Korean government.
He further said that “If you change your mind having to do with this summit, don’t hesitate”, as referred to cancelling of the summit as a missed opportunity.
Earlier on Thursday, it was reported that Kim had threatened to back off from the summit following the military drills as he was quoted by Fox News saying, the United States doesn’t stop committing ‘unlawful and outrageous acts’.
Earlier on May 23, Donald Trump had said that the fate of the planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un would be decided next week. The two leaders were expected to discuss denuclearisation of North Korea in the now-cancelled summit.
(Inputs from ANI)