Mogadishu: At least 50 people lost their lives in the series of car bombings that rocked Somalia’s Mogadishu Saturday, stated a Chinese media Xinhua report. Reportedly, the bombings took place outside a hotel. Al-Qaeda linked Shabaab militants, claimed the attack, said a security source.
According to a report by The Independent, suicide bombs detonated near the Sahafi Hotel. Moreover, the four armed men who tried to enter the hotel were shot dead by security forces, said police captain Mohamed Hussein.
The report quoted police officer Ali Nur as saying, “They were traveling in public vehicles at the scene when the blasts and gunfire occurred.” After the attack, dozens of bodies were seen on the road. The third blast reportedly occurred 20 minutes after the last attack which had already caused huge damage to buildings and vehicles.
The spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres condemned the Mogadishu bomb attacks which had claimed the lives of many civilians.
BBC News reported that the hotel owner was among those killed in the blast. The hotel owner’s father had reportedly died in a similar terror attack by jihadists in 2015 at the same hotel. On Friday afternoon three blasts were carried out around KM 4 Junction by the militant group al-Shabab. The group had targeted Sahafi hotel, which was once a safe haven for politicians, and journalists covering the Somali civil war stated a Xinhua report.
The armed group Al-Shabab is responsible for frequently attacking the Somali capital in an attempt to topple the country’s internationally recognised government.