Orlando, June 13: At least 50 people died and another 53 injured after a man, who was identified as Omar Mateen, opened fire and seized hostages at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. The Orlando shooting is termed as the worst mass shooting in US history. The 29-year old Omar Mateen, the gunman who slaughtered 50 people, was previously came under scanner in 2013 for his alleged ties with American suicide bomber Moner Mohammad Abusalha. However Mateen was then cleared by the FBI after interrogation.Also Read - Lockdown-Free Florida Top Vacay Spot For Holidays | Here's Why

Omar Mir Seddique Mateen is a Muslim American of Afghan descent. Mateen, a New York-born resident of Florida, used to work as a security officer at a security company called G4S and was trained shooter. Omar Mateen, according to his relatives, was not overly religious but had anti-gay views and had regularly assaulted his ex-wife, Sitora Yusufiy. Mateen’s father Mir Seddique said that his son got very angry when he saw two men kissing in downtown Miami recently. (ALSO READ: Orlando shooter’s father Mir Seddique apologises for incident) Also Read - NASA to Launch First 'Lucy' Mission to Distant Asteroids on Oct 16 | Details Inside

According to Mateen’s former wife Sitora Yusufiy, he was mentally ill and unstable. He used to abuse his wife and not let her speak to her parents. Mateen would speak both English and Farsi. At one stage, Mateen wanted to become a police officer but he never pursued it. Omar Mateen used to attend evening prayers at the city’s Islamic Centre three to four times a week. However he was not at social and leave the place immediately after prayers. Also Read - Elon Musk's Space X Crew Shares Incredible Earth Image Shot on iPhone

However Islamic State or ISIS, a terrorist group, has claimed the responsibility for the Orlando shootings and called Mateen as a “soldier of the caliphate”, but US intelligence is still probing whether he had allegiance with the terror outfit. Mateen’s father has apologised for the whole incident and said he was not aware of any plan by his son, adding, “this had nothing to do with religion”.