Colombo: The death toll in Sri Lanka blasts rose to 207 on Sunday. An eighth blast rocked a housing complex in the city around 3 PM (IST), killing two persons and leaving several others injured. Meanwhile, as per foreign media, seven suspects have been arrested in connection with the explosions. (Colombo blasts Live Updates) Also Read - To Protest Petrol Price Hike, Mamata Banerjee Takes Electric Scooter To Office | VIDEO
In the wake of the dastardly attack, the government of Sri Lanka has imposed social media ban across the country. Night curfew, from 6 PM on Sunday to 6 AM on Monday, has also been announced. (Helpline numbers issued by India) Also Read - Breaking News Feb 25 Live News And Updates | JP Nadda Launches 'Lokkho Sonar Bangla Manifesto Crowdsourcing Campaign'
India strongly condemned the serial blasts in Sri Lanka. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in a telephonic conversation with President and Prime Minister of Sri Lanka, conveyed heart-felt condolences on his own behalf and on behalf of all Indians at the loss of over one hundred and fifty innocent lives in today’s terrorist attacks. Also Read - PM Modi Biggest 'Dangaabaaz' of India, Worse Fate Than Trump Awaits Him, Says Mamata Banerjee
UK PM Theresa May, France President Emmanuel Macron, Russia president Vladimir Putin among leaders across the world denounced the ‘cruel violence’ of the Easter Sunday attacks in Sri Lanka. Pope Francis has also condemned the dastardly attack.
Here’s What we Know so Far:
– On Sunday, parts of Sri Lanka’s Colombo was rocked by nearly six powerful blasts during Easter Mass.
– Over 160 people were killed when six near simultaneous and coordinated explosions rocked three churches, including St. Sebastian’s Church, and three luxury hotels. An eighth blast was reported from Demetogada area in the afternoon.
– As per the authorities, 35 foreigners were among the dead but their nationalities have not been ascertained as of yet.
– No group has taken responsibility for the attack yet. However, reports quoting intelligence sources hinted at ISI’s hand in the attack. The attack was targeted at Indians on the direction of ISI, it is believed.
– Following the incident, all Easter masses in the Colombo district were cancelled by the Sri Lankan government.
– In the wake of the blasts, leaves of all police personnel has been cancelled. Doctors, nurses and health officials who were on leave have been asked to report to work, sources close to Health Ministry said.
– The series of blasts in parts of Colombo forced the government to announce the closure of all the schools for two days – Monday and Tuesday.
– Following multiple explosions, heavy security was deployed at the Bandaranaike International Airport. The riot police and the Special Task Force have reportedly been pressed into service.
– The Ministry of External Affairs in India extended all possible help to the distress in Sri Lanka. “Indians in distress may please contact Indian High Commission in Colombo. We will provide you all assistance. @IndiainSL Our helpline numbers are : +94777903082,+94112422788,+94112422789, +94112422789.”
– The Sri Lankan government has imposed social media ban across the country. Furthermore, a night curfew, from 6 PM on Sunday to 6 AM on Monday, has also been announced.