Colombo: After ISIS claimed responsibility for the bombings that rocked Sri Lanka on Easter, Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe on Tuesday said the blasts could have been due to Christchurch attack which took place in two of New Zealand’s mosques last month. Wickremesinghe added that police are questioning presently and the truth will only come out after that.

He further said that the investigators were making good progress in regard to identifying the culprits. Wickremesinghe went on to thank the US and several other countries for their continuous support. “Many countries are helping us, starting from the United States. I condole the death of all those who lost their lives,” said Wickremesinghe.

Earlier too, state minister of defence Ruwan Wijewardene had told the parliament, “The preliminary investigations have revealed that what happened in Sri Lanka (on Sunday) was in retaliation for the attack against Muslims in Christchurch.” At least 50 people were killed in shooting attacks on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on March 15.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the multiple bombings in Sri Lanka’s hotels and churches that took the lives of more than 300 people on Easter, April 21. Reuters quoted the group’s AMAQ news agency, a news outlet linked to the ISIS. Sri Lanka has put all police stations in Colombo on high alert following reports of a lorry and van carrying explosives.

UNICEF spokesman Christophe Boulierac has said there were 45 children among those killed in Sri Lanka’s Easter Sunday bombings. An official mass funeral ceremony for the victims was held on Tuesday, a day of national mourning, the Indian High Commission here put the death toll for Indians at 10.

It must be noted that the Sri Lankan president’s office declared a state of national emergency, which came into effect from midnight (18.30 GMT) on Monday. The emergency gives police and military extensive powers to detain and interrogate suspects without court orders.

Cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne had reportedly said that the Sri Lankan authorities were warned about a bomb threat from National Thowheed Jamath a full two weeks before the attacks.