New Delhi: Weeks after Easter bombings rocked Sri Lanka, killing at least 263 people and injuring more than 500, churches opened in the capital city of Colombo, allowing thousands of Catholics to observe Mass there.
In the aftermath of the eight suicide bombings on April 21, all churches in the island nation had been closed shut in fear of continued attacks on minorities. The Catholics of Sri Lanka had since been observing Mass from the confines of their homes. For the past two Sundays, Cardinals were conducting private services from their homes which were being televised all over the country.
For the first time since the churches were opened for the public- also harbingering a sign of normalcy returning to Sri Lanka.
Recently, the Sri Lankan police and the military said the country is now safe as all those involved in the Easter Sunday bombings have been either arrested or dead and steps have been taken to implement a special security plan following the attacks.
“All those terrorists directly involved in the bombings are either dead or under arrest,” Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP) C.D. Wickramaratne said after meeting with Defence Secretary Shantha Kottegoda and tri-force commanders at the Ministry of Defence.
Wickramaratne added that all the explosives hidden by terrorists for more attacks have also been seized by the police and the security forces, the Daily Mirror reported.
According to Army Commander Lt Gen Mahesh Senanayake, the military had taken steps to ensure national security under the emergency regulations, Colombo Gazette reported.
He said normalcy was returning to the country and the public must not be misled by false reports circulating on social media platforms.
The Commander urged the public to return to their day to day activities while the Navy and the Air Force said that security had been strengthened to prevent any attack in the ports as well as airports in Sri Lanka.
With IANS inputs