Washington: President Donald Trump confirmed Friday he will skip the “boring” White House correspondents’ dinner later this month, saying he’ll hold a rally instead. Also Read - 'Not the Time': Biden Administration Drops Order as Trump Lifts Travel Ban With Europe, Brazil
Trump, who launches almost daily verbal attacks on what he considers a hostile media, has missed the two previous sessions of the annual get-together in Washington. Also Read - Misinformation Went Down After Social Media Banned Trump: Report
Asked if he’d go to this year’s gathering, on April 27, he told reporters at the White House that “the dinner is so boring and so negative that we’re going to hold a very positive rally.” Also Read - Joe Biden Announces USD 1.9 Trillion Coronavirus Stimulus Plan to Revive US Economy
Trump said his rally, in a still undecided location, will be “a big one.”
Appearances by presidents at the black tie occasion have previously been a tradition.
However, Trump has a uniquely combative relationship with the media, which he denounces as “fake news,” except in a handful of cases, including his favoured Fox News network.
Last year the correspondents’ dinner ran into controversy when the keynote speaker, comedian Michelle Wolf, tore into White House staff, especially press secretary Sarah Sanders, with what some took to be heavy handed and offensive jokes.
The White House Correspondents’ Association, which organises the event, has tried to diffuse tensions this year by inviting a historian, Ron Chernow, instead of the usual comedian.