June 22, 2015 is the 83rd birth anniversary of India’s legendary actor Amrish Puri, who revolutionised the role of a villain in Indian cinema, portraying some of the most iconic negative roles in Bollywood. His role as Mogambo in Mr India continues to be one of teh most iconic villain charecter to have featured in a Bollywood film. Even as he passed away more than 10 years back, his roles have been immortal. Let us have a look at some of iconic scenes from Bollywood.
PLEASE NOTE: The ratings are in no specific order.
1) Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (Chaudhary Baldev Singh): Well he plays the good father here. ‘Jaa Simran, Jee Le Apni Zindagi’, is one of the iconic lines said by the late actor. He played the role of a strict father in the film which went on to break records of Indian cinema. The film became legendary and so did his role.
2) Nayak: The Real Hero (Balraj Chauhan): Amrish Puri played the role of the Chief Minister you wanted to hate. It wasn’t the most popular film going by the Box Office numbers or the ratings o the critics, but you have surely seen this film. Even as Anil Kapoor took the limelight, this film was a clear indication of how a strong antagonist makes the protagonist look better.
3) Mr India (Mogambo): Unarguably the most memorable role he has played in Bollywood. With the role of Mogambo, he redefined what an iconic villain is. The line ‘Mogambo Khush Hua’ happens to be one of the most popular lines ever said in a Bollywood film. He was bad, probably the most terrorising character in Bollywood.
4) Karan Arjun (Thakur Durjan Singh): One of his most underrated roles, Amrish Puri plays the role of a villain with deadly attitude. The fact that Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan had to combine their star power to overhaul his skills in itself is the greatest testimony to the veteran actor.
5) Pardes (Kishorilal): He plays the role of a wealthy Indian man who stays in America, but loves his Indian roots. Remember ‘I Love My India’. Everytime you listen to the song, flashes of Amrish Puri are bound to come in your mind. He added a lot of soul to his character in the film.
6) Ghatak (Shabu Nath)
7) Chachi 420 (Durgaprasad Bharadwaj)
8) Gadar (Mayor Ashraf Ali)
9) Virasat (Raja Thakur)
10) Gardish (Purushottam Sathe)
11) Damini (Indrajit Chadda)
In the 38 year span when he acted ion Bollywood, he featured in over 400 films. He also acted in Hollywood and made significant contribution in theatre. At the age of 72, he died of cerebral haemorrhage. Do let us know which is the best role he has played so far in Bollywood.