American songwriter and singer Bob Dylan today won the Nobel Literature Prize becoming the first songwriter to win the prestigious award. The announcement was received with great applause from people attending the event. He has also been mentioned in the Nobel speculation in past years. The singer has come a long way with his humble beginnings. He self leart harmonica, guitar and piano.
Dylan, 75, was honoured “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition,” the Swedish Academy said. While, the Academy’s permanent secretary Sara Danius said Dylan’s songs were “poetry for the ears.” Dylan will be awarded eight million kronor (USD 906,000 or 822,000 euros) prize sum along.
Dylan was born in 1941, in Robert Allen Zimmerman and began his musical career in 1959. During the initial stages of his career, he played in coffee houses in Minnesota. Some of his famous works that dates from the 1960s are songs like “Blowin’ in the Wind” and “The Times They are A-Changin'”. His songs became anthems of the anti-war and civil rights movements during the era. (ALSO READ: Bob Dylan wins Nobel prize for Literature 2016)
Dylan is already the recipient of 11 Grammies which includes Lifetime Achievement, a Golden Globe, an Oscar and a special Pulitzer Prize citation. He also holds a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom from US President Barack Obama in 2012.
Here are 10 Bob Dylan quotes which sums up life in the best way possible:
1. Behind every beautiful thing, there’s some kind of pain.
2. Don’t criticize what you can’t understand.
3. And I’ll stand on the ocean until I start sinking.
4. Sometimes it’s not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don’t mean
5. Life is more or less a lie, but then again, that’s exactly the way we want it to be.
6. People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent
7. You can never be wise and be in love at the same time
8. Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet
9. No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky
10. If you want to keep your memories, you first have to live them. (ALSO READ- Bob Dylan birthday special: Watch tell-all interview of the singing legend!)
At a formal ceremony in Stockholm as per the tradition, the 2016 laureates will receive their awards which will be a gold medal and a diploma, on December 10, which is the anniversary of the prize creator Alfred Nobel. In Oslo, a separate ceremony will held in for the peace prize laureate on the same day.