Awaiting the certificate from Censor Board after it suggested four cuts, Omung Kumar directorial PM Narendra Modi, starring actor Vivek Oberoi in the titular role, has been postponed and will now hit cinema screens on April 11 instead of on April 5. Undeterred by the move of the opponents, Vivek assured that they are firm in their resolve to release the controversial film.
In an interview with ANI, Vivek said, “We wanted to release the film on April 5 but some people put us in so many difficulties that we couldn’t do it. We are working hard to get the film released on April 11, we have to go to the Supreme Court on Monday.”
Tagging it as a propaganda film, many people revolted against its release. Referring to the same, Vivek said, “There are very powerful people who have approached courts through their lawyers. They can obstruct us briefly but they won’t be able to stop us. The release might have been postponed but we are firm in our resolve.”
The makers of the film were expecting to receive the Censor certificate on April 3 but were denied for the same. Now, Censor Board has asked for four cuts and director Omung Kumar and producer Sandip Ssingh had made the changes so far. However, the makers have not received any official letter from the Censor Board and the verbal orders are invalid, hence the film got postponed.
Earlier, film producer Sandip Ssingh spoke to IANS and said, “We are bringing this film a week early on public demand. There is a lot of love and anticipation among the people and we don’t want them to wait longer. This is a story of 1.3 billion people and I can’t wait to show it to them.”
Talking about the film, the biopic will discover the journey of Narendra Damodardas Modi from his humble beginning to his years as Gujarat Chief Minister onto his landmark win at the 2014 general election, finally becoming the 14th Prime Minister of India. Directed by National Award-winner Omung Kumar, the biopic was shot extensively in Gujarat and across locations within the country.