The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reportedly agreed that the athletes who had booked their places for the now-postponed Tokyo 2020 will keep their spots whenever the event is held next year. Also Read - Nature Reclaims Its Glory, Ozone Layer Heals, Amidst Coronavirus Lockdown
In a joint-statement on Tuesday, Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and IOC president Thomas Bach announced Olympics will be delayed by a year in wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Also Read - ‘Shameful Indian Citizens Treated Like This,’ Says Rahul Gandhi on Exodus of Migrants Due to Lockdown
AFP reports that on Thursday IOC held a teleconference with 32 international sports federations to and decided that the current qualifying results will stand for 2021 as well. Also Read - Kangana Ranaut Hints at Spread of Coronavirus Being a 'Potential Bio War' to Destroy Economies, Read on
“Thomas Bach first explained the reasons for the postponement of the Games, then said that the athletes qualified for Tokyo 2020 would automatically be qualified for 2021,” one of the participants of the conference was quoted as saying in the report.
“One of the main subjects was to know when and how to organise the qualifications. In some federations, many sportsmen and sportswomen are not qualified and it takes at least three months for the Olympic Games to organise them,” the source added.
The news agency quoted another participant as confirming that the “allocated quotas remain allocated.”
“Thomas Bach has confirmed that a decision (on a new date for the 2021 event) will be made within the next four weeks,” participant added.
While the new date is yet to be decided Bach has already said that it should not be later than summer 2021.
As per AFP, 57% of the 11,000 scheduled participants for Tokyo Olympics had already confirmed their qualification.
The deadly coronavirus has infected close to 5,20,000 and left 23,820 dead so far globally.