With the countdown already begin for the world’s biggest sporting fest – Tokyo Olympics 2020, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach plans emergency talks with member organisations, a source close to the IOC said on Sunday. The coronavirus outbreak has wreaked havoc on the qualification calendar for various sports leading up to the Olympics. It has led to speculation around the fate of the Games itself. Also Read - ‘Ja Ja Re Coronavirus’: Indian Band Composes COVID-19 Awareness Song With a Rajasthani Folk Touch

As per the report, the IOC is planning a conference call on Tuesday to “keep the international federations informed of the situation, as well as the National Olympic Committees and athletes,” a source was quoted by AFP. Also Read - IPL 100 Per Cent Possible if Coronavirus Pandemic is Contained by October: Ashish Nehra



The committee will also take stock of the actions taken to respond to the Coronavirus pandemic, declared by WHO last week, and federations will have the opportunity to ask questions. The IOC “conducts a regular dialogue with all the Olympic partners and regularly informs them of the situation,” added an IOC spokesman. Also Read - Covid-19 Warriors: MP Doctor Turns His Car Into a Temporary Home To Protect His Family From Coronavirus

While many international sporting events have been postponed or cancelled, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe promised on Friday that Tokyo would host the Olympic Games as planned in July and August.



The issue of qualifying will be a focus of Tuesday’s telephone meeting.

Bach said on Thursday that his organisation would follow the recommendations of the World Health Organisation (WHO) regarding a possible postponement.

He acknowledged, however, that the cancellation of qualifying events due to the epidemic was already posing ‘serious problems’.

At the beginning of March, Bach said the IOC would show ‘flexibility’ regarding the qualifications for the Tokyo and encouraged ‘all athletes to continue to prepare’ for the Games.

India delegation visit to Tokyo ahead of Olympics

A high-level delegation visit from the Sports Ministry and Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to Tokyo ahead of the 2020 Olympics has been put on hold amid the ongoing global crisis around the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.

Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju, IOA president Narinder Batra, secretary-general Rajeev Mehta were to be among officials comprising the delegations. Sports general secretary Radhey Shyam Jhulaniya, Sports Authority of India (SAI) director Sandeep Pradhan and Boxing Federation of India (BFI) president Ajay Singh completed the delegation.

“The proposed visit of High-Level Indian Delegation to Tokyo consisting of Govt Officials and Indian Olympic Association to review India’s #Tokyo2020 preparation on 25th March is temporarily postponed,” Rijiju said in a tweet on Sunday.