New Delhi, March 27: Australia cricket team head coach Darren Lehmann may announce his retirement following the sandpaper gate controversy as Cricket Australia are mulls for a year ban on skipper Steve Smith and David Warner.

According to Sky Sports report, Lehmann will offer his resignation before April 4.

ICC has already handed one match ban to Smith and three demerit point to Cameron Bancroft who was found guilty in the scandal.

However, Lehmann has remained silent since the furore, but Britain’s Daily Telegraph said he had decided to quit, effective immediately, meaning he too will play no part in the Test.

Lehmann took over the coaching reins in 2013 when predecessor Mickey Arthur was sacked, with Justin Langer considered a frontrunner as his replacement although Ricky Ponting will also be in the mix.

“We are aiming to be in a position to fully update the Australian public on the investigation and outcomes on Wednesday morning,” Sutherland said in an e-mail to cricket fans.

“We understand the strong interest everyone has in this situation and we are following due process to properly address all of the relevant issues involved.”

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull reiterated Tuesday that it had been “a shocking affront to Australia” and Cricket Australia must act “decisively and emphatically”.

Former Australian coach John Buchanan, who led the team from 1999 to 2007, said Smith must resign as captain and urged cricket chiefs to be fully transparent in their investigation.

“It is a very difficult time for members of Australian cricket; however, I believe there is a golden opportunity to reset the dial around player and staff behaviours, actions and decision-making,” he told reporters. (With PTI inputs)