New Delhi: Australian cricket team’s head coach Darren Lehmann will step down from his position after his contract expires in 2019. Cricket Australia (CA) has revealed that Lehmann is unwilling to extend his contract which will come to end after the next Ashes series in 2019.
“Darren Lehmann has confirmed that he will not seek to extend his tenure as Australia’s coach beyond his existing contract, which is set to run out following the next Ashes series in 2019,” CA said in a statement on Monday.
The 47-year-old who played 27 Tests and 117 One-Day International (ODI) for Australia was appointed as the coach in 2013. He signed a contract extension last year which expires in October 2019.
The former batsman said he enjoyed his role as a coach and will think about his future after stepping down.
“That will be it. It will be a case of too much time, too much travel. For me, I’ve really enjoyed the role and (am) loving it. We’ll just get to that point and work out what we do from there,” cricket.com.au quoted Lehmann, as saying.
Lehmann, who is currently managing the national side in all formats of the game, has recently spoken about the demanding nature of his job and indicated earlier that 2019 would be his last year at the helm.
In October, Lehmann had said the packed international cricket calendar may leave him with no choice but to hand over the responsibility of the country’s limited-over sides and focus solely on Tests.
Australia are slated to face two major challenges in 2019, the ODI World Cup in the United Kingdom and then an Ashes series abroad.
(With agencies inputs)