One of the fiercest derby rivalries of world football will be set for action when North London clubs Arsenal and Tottenham takes to the field at the Emirates Stadium in London on Wednesday late night in an EFL Carabao cup fixture. Both the clubs have displayed good form throughout the season so far, but the previous encounter which took place less than a month ago concluded with a 4-2 hammering of Tottenham.Also Read - Arsenal Take North London Bragging Rights; Wolves Beat Southampton
However, it is the Mauricio Pochettino side who have the upper edge in the Premier League on the third position, while new Arsenal manager Unai Emery has led his side to the fifth position so far. With more than half of the season to go, tides could turn to anyone’s favour in the league but tonight at the EFL cup match, both teams will have just one chance as it is a knock-out format- the team that loses the match will face exit from the tournament. Also Read - Thierry Henry to Quit Social Media Citing Inadequate Action to Tackle Online Racial Abuse And Bullying
Arsenal’s stellar 22-game unbeaten run came to an end against the lowly Southampton and the Unai Emery-led side will look to get back with a win against their biggest rivals. The club will be aiming for their first trophy under the reign of the new manager, whereas, Pochettino’s Tottenham Hotspurs will be aiming for their first silverware in over a decade – they last won a trophy (league cup) in the season 2007-08, however, Spurs fan base have a sense of optimism of a ‘new era’ with their new stadium and world-class players in Harry Kane, Erikson amongst others. Also Read - Europa League: Arsenal Come Back From a Goal Down to Beat Benfica 3-2; Man United Also Progress Ahead
Here are the five Arsenal players to watch out for in the North London Derby:
1) Alexandre Laxcazette: The Frenchmen has been in scintillating form for the gunners and has scored some stunning goals for his team and specially making significant contributions against the big teams. His physical strength and clinical shooting ability is always a menace for opposition defenders.
2) Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang: The forward got off to a flying start after he was signed from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018 and has been Arsenal’s top scoring player since then. His pace and finishing make him absolutely lethal up-front and he is the current top scorer in the Premier League with 10 goals.
3) Mesut Ozil: The 5-time German national player of the year recently came back from a back injury, but his creative instincts makes him one of the best playmakers in the Premier League. Since his signing in 2014 for a club-record 42.5 million, Ozil has registered the highest assists in the league and won Arsenal’s player of the season in 2016, registering Premier League’s all-time second highest assists.
4) Aaron Ramsey: The Welshmen is yet to receive a contract with the Gunners and is most likely to leave in the summer but his box-to-box midfield ability his a huge bonus for Unai Emery’s side. Ramsey can pull the strings for the gunners.
5) Lucas Torriera: The Uruguayan has taken no time to become one of the fan favourites at Arsenal. His defensive midfield qualities has earned him comparisons to the legend Patrick Viera. He’s a specialist in interceptions, blocks and can even score some stunning goals, as he already has so far in his Arsenal career.
Recent form (all competitions):
Arsenal – WWDWWL
Tottenham Hotspurs -WLWWDW
Head To Head:
This fixture will mark the 184th meeting between the two North London sides. Arsenal has had the upper edge in the head to head encounters with 77 wins, whereas Tottenham has 20 less at 57.
Arsenal possible starting lineup:
Cech; Lichtsteiner, Sokratis, Koscielny, Maitland-Niles; Guendouzi, Xhaka; Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Ramsey; Lacazette.
Tottenham possible starting lineup:
Vorm; Walker-Peters, Alderweireld, Foyth, Davies; Winks, Skipp; Son, Alli, Lucas; Kane.