Denying media reports that Cristiano Ronaldo gave his Player of the Year Award to Robert Lewandowski, Global Soccer Awards has clarified that it was indeed the Bayern Munich forward who was the original winner.Also Read - Ballon D'or 2021: Lionel Messi Does Not Deserve, Toni Kroos Reacts to PSG Man Winning it For 7th Time
At a glittering ceremony where Ronaldo was crowned as the Player of The Century, it was reported that after his name also featured as the winner of the player of the year 2020, the Portuguese decided to instead hand over the trophy to Lewandowski. Also Read - Lionel Messi Feels France Football Should Award Robert Lewandowski 2020 Ballon d’Or, Says He Deserves It
“Robert Lewandowski was named Player of the Year 2020 at last night’s Dubai Globe Soccer Awards, thanks to a combination of votes from fans all over the world and votes from the Dubai Globe Soccer Jury,” the organisers said in a statement on Monday. Also Read - Cristiano Ronaldo Slams Ballon d’Or Chief After Lionel Messi Claim Seventh Record Title
“Lewandowski has had an exceptional season, being a top scorer of the Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup and stacking up victories for his club, Bayern Munich,” it added.
The Polish also won the FIFA Men’s Player award earlier this month for scoring 55 goals in 47 appearances for Bayern during the 2019-20 season.
Pep Guardiola was named coach of the century while Real Madrid was named club of the century.
Fans from all over the world were invited to vote for their favourite nominees, with over 21 million votes reportedly cast across the various categories.
Here’s a list of all the winners
• Player of the Century (2001-2020): Cristiano Ronaldo
• Coach of the Century (2001-2020): Josep Guardiola
• Club of the Century (2001-2020): Real Madrid
• Agent of the Century (2001-2020): Jorge Mendes
• Top Title Winners of Middle East: Al-Ahly
• Player of the Year 2020: Robert Lewandowski
• Club of the Year 2020: Bayern Munich
• Coach of the Year 2020: Hans-Dieter Flick
• Player Career Award: Iker Casillas and Gerard Pique