India U 16 fought hard but went down 0-1 to the Korea Republic and missed the ticket for the FIFA U17 World Cup. But they gave the formidable Koreans a run for their money and that won hearts of whoever was present at the stadium. The crowd gave the Indian football team a round of applause after their loss which showed they loved the style of play and were not so disappointed. The players were heartbroken after the match and understandably so. Here is a video where you can see the fans waving the tricolour with utmost pride after the match. Also Read - AFC U-16 Football Championship India vs South Korea Quarter-Final Live Streaming: When And Where to Watch on TV And Online/Timings in IST

Jeong Sangbin’s strike in the 67th minute ensured South Korea a victory, according to a statement by All India Football Federation (AIFF).

In 2002, India had lost 1-3 to the same opponents at the same stage of the championship. However, India on this day fought hard and did not surrender until the final whistle.

The opponents dominated possession from the start but confident defending with organization held them at bay for some time.

Compact defending with numbers further frustrated the opponents, who had scored twelve goals in the tournament before coming into this encounter.

The Indian side that made it to the quarterfinals for the first time in sixteen years had progressed out of the group stages as runners-up of Group C, with five points in three matches but even after giving South Korea a tough challenge and stretching them to the limit, could not emerge victors.

In the 14th minute, Niraj Kumar made an excellent save to deny South Korea from close range.

He then made two back-to-back saves in the 34th and 36th minutes to keep India in play as his dives saw the Korean shots from distance thwarted.

India defended deep in the first half and pressured the opponents to give away the ball in the defending third.

In the dying embers of the first half, Ravi Rana’s shot from distance forced the Korean custodian to make a decent save as both teams went into the tunnel on level pegging as the half-time scoreline read 0-0.

Changing over, India emerged with much vigour and almost caught the Korean defence napping in the 52nd minute when Ridge De’Mello’s first-time volley earned a decent save from the opposition custodian after Vikram had found him just inches outside the box.

Two minutes later, South Korea almost gave India a scare when a free-kick attempt rattled the Indian bar and went out of play.

In the 64th minute, Niraj Kumar once more made a fantastic diving save to deny the Koreans from close range.

After 337 minutes without conceding a goal, the Indian defence finally gave way in the 67th minute when Jeong Sangbin tapped from close range after Niraj Kumar had palmed a venomous shot away.

(With agency inputs)