India vs New Zealand 2nd T20I: Enhancing his reputation as one of the best batsmen in the world when it comes to white ball cricket – Rohit Sharma once again put up a show for the fans during the second T20 international between India and New Zealand at Eden Park in Auckland. The stand-in skipper made most of the failure in the first outing by hitting a sensational half-century off just 28 deliveries. Maintaining a perfect strike rate of 172.41, Rohit smashed 3 fours and 4 maximums during his match-winning knock on Friday.
The 159 chase was set up by skipper Rohit (50 off 29 balls) in the company of Shikhar Dhawan (30, 31 balls) with a 79-run stand after Krunal Pandya got three wickets to restrict the hosts to 158/8. With whirlwind fifty, Rohit also became the top run-getter in the format, surpassing Martin Guptill.
Here are the list of records Rohit broke during the second match of the three-T20I rubber between India and New Zealand:
1. The 31-year old became the highest run-getter in the Twenty20 Internationals, surpassing New Zealand’s Martin Guptill (2272 runs) and Pakistan’s Shoaib Malik (2263),. Rohit achieved the feat in style, clobbering leg-spinner Ish Sodhi over the fine-leg boundary for a six during India’s chase of 159 runs in the second T20I vs Black Caps. India captain Virat Kohli (2167 runs) is placed fourth in the chart ahead of former New Zealand wicket-keeper batsman Brendon McCullum (2140).
2. India’s stand-in captain Rohit Sharma is now joint second on the list of India captains with most wins in T20I cricket. After India’s seven-wicket win over New Zealand in Auckland on Friday, Rohit has 12 wins from just 14 matches while Virat Kohli has 12 wins under his belt in 20 matches.
3. Rohit, who failed in the first T20, also became the third player in the history of T20 cricket after Guptill and Chris Gayle to hit 100 sixes.
4. Famously called as ‘Hitman’, Rohit also surpassed MS Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar to become India’s leading six-hitter in international cricket.
352* – ROHIT SHARMA
348* – MS Dhoni
264 – Sachin Tendulkar
5. Rohit also pipped Virat to register most 50-plus scores in T20I cricket.
20 – Rohit Sharma*
19 – Virat Kohli
16 – Martin Guptill
6. Rohit also became the first Indian captain to lead Team India to record the first-ever win in New Zealand in T20Is. They lost all the three T20Is which they have played before.
7. Along with opening partner Dhawan, Rohit has formed an inseparable partnership in white ball cricket. The duo became the most prolific pair in history of T20Is to score most partnership runs (1480 runs).