Living upto the hype around his selection in the national squad, young Prithvi Shaw slammed a scintillating hundred in his debut Test against West Indies in Rajkot on Thursday. With this special knock, Shaw became the youngest Indian and fourth overall to score a Test century on debut as India take control for three against West Indies at tea on the day one for the first Test. Also Read - Prithvi Shaw Looks Into His Pants And Then Smiles After Hit on Crotch During PBKS vs DC IPL 2021, Video Goes Viral | WATCH
At 18 years and 329 days, Shaw (134 off 154) reached the milestone off just 99 balls, adding to a host of records he holds in his blossoming career. He had earlier made waves by reaching three figures in his first Ranji Trophy appearance and was the youngest to hit a century on Duleep Trophy debut. Also Read - Prithvi Shaw's Erratic Throw Scares Rishabh Pant During PBKS vs DC IPL 2021 Game, Video Goes Viral | WATCH
Even as Shaw is the 15th Indian in the list of all Test debut hundreds by Indians, he is the youngest of them all. Aged just 18 years and 329 days, Shaw showed immense flair, maturity and fearlessness to notch up the hundred. Also Read - IPL 2021 Points Table Today Latest After PBKS vs DC, Match 29: Delhi Capitals Claim No.1 Spot After Win Over Punjab Kings; Shikhar Dhawan Swells Lead in IPL Orange Cap List
Lala Amarnath, Deepak Sodhan, AG Kripal Singh, Abbas Ali Baig, Hanumant Singh, Gundappa Vishwanath, Surender Amarnath, Mohammad Azharuddin, Pravin Amre, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag, Suresh Raina, Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma are the other 14 Indian batsmen to have scored a hundred on their Test debut.
The Mumbai batsman is the second youngest Indian to score a Test century with Sachin Tendulkar still holding the record having hit a hundred at the age of 17 years and 107 days.
With the century, Shaw joined an elite list of Indians, who have scored a hundred on their Test debut. Here are all the 14 other Indian batsmen who announced their arrival in Test cricket with a hundred:
|Lala Amarnath||118||England||Mumbai||Dec. 15, 1933|
|Deepak Shodhan||110||Pakistan||Kolkata||Dec. 12, 1952|
|AG Kripal Singh||100*||New Zealand||Hyderabad||Nov. 19, 1955|
|Abbas Ali Baig||112||England||Manchester||July 23, 1959|
|Hanumant Singh||105||England||Delhi||Feb. 8, 1964|
|Gundappa Viswanath||137||Australia||Kanpur||Nov. 15, 1969|
|Surinder Amarnath||124||New Zealand||Auckland||Jan. 24, 1976|
|Mohd. Azharuddin||110||England||Kolkata||Dec. 31, 1984|
|Pravin Amre||103||South Africa||Durban||Nov. 13, 1992|
|Sourav Ganguly||131||England||Lord’s||June 20, 1996|
|Virender Sehwag||105||South Africa||Bloemfontein||Nov. 3, 2001|
|Suresh Raina||120||Sri Lanka||Colombo||July 26, 2010|
|Shikhar Dhawan||187||Australia||Mohali||March 14, 2013|
|Rohit Sharma||177||West Indies||Kolkata||Nov. 6, 2013|
Check some records which Prithvi Shaw broke during his maiden century:-
1. Shaw became the youngest Indian to score a century in his debut match. At 18 years and 329 days, Shaw (134 off 154) reached the milestone off just 99 balls.
2. With this knock, the Mumbai-born batsman became fourth youngest overall to score a Test century
Youngest to score 100 on Test debut:
17y 061d M Ashraful v SL, Colombo SSC, 2001
17y 352d H Masakadza v WI, Harare, 2001
18y 323d Saleem Malik v SL, Karachi, 1982
18y 329d PRITHVI SHAW v WI, Rajkot, 2018
3. Shaw scored the third-fastest century on Test debut in terms of number of balls.
85 – Shikhar Dhawan
93 – Dwayne Smith
99 – Prithvi Shaw*
105 – Matt Prior
106 – Abul Hasan
4. He also became the third Mumbai batsman to score a century on his Test debut.
5. Prithvi Shaw becomes the first player to score a century each on Ranji Trophy debut, Duleep Trophy debut and Test debut. Former India batsman Gundappa Viswanath was the other player to score a century each on Ranji Trophy and Test debut.
Ranji Trophy: 120 vs TN, Rajkot
Duleep Trophy: 154 vs India Blue, Lucknow
Test: 134 vs WI, Rajkot
6. Shaw is the youngest to score fifty-plus runs on Test debut for India:
18y 329d – Prithvi Shaw*
20y 126d – Abbas Ali Baig
20y 276d – Gundappa Viswanath
7. Fastest fifties on Test debut for Indian players: (By balls)
42 – Yuvraj of Patiala
48 – Hardik Pandya
50 – Shikhar Dhawan
56 – PRITHVI SHAW*
59 – Lala Amarnath
8. Shaw became the second youngest batsman to open the innings for India on Test debut:
17y 265d Vijay Mehra
18y 329d Prithvi Shaw*
19y 19d Syed Mushtaq Ali
9. Prithvi Shaw becomes the youngest specialist Indian batsman (18y 329d) to make a debut in the 21st century.
10. The stand of 206 runs between Pujara and Shaw was the highest for India against West Indies at home at a venue other than Kolkata for any wicket in Tests.