New Delhi, October 9: Jeakson Singh becomes the first Indian to score in FIFA Tournament after netting a goal against Colombia in the ongoing FIFA U-17 World Cup.
Jeakson, a defensive midfielder, scored an equaliser for the hosts in the 82nd minute through a thumping header. However, as soon as the celebrations abated, India were caught on the counter and were punished by the visitors, who scored their second goal to win the game 2-1.
Watch Jeakson’s goal here:
Jeakson hails from Haokha Mamang village in Manipur’s Thoubal district and his father Konthoujam Deben Singh suffered a stroke in 2015 and had to leave his job with the Manipur police.
His family is now dependent on the meagre income brought by his mother from selling vegetables at the Khwairamband Bazar in Imphal, 25km from her home.
Jeakson’s elder brother Jonichand Singh is also a contributor to the income as he is currently playing for Peerless club in Kolkata Premier League but that has not made much of a difference to their family back home.
Not just the financial issues, Jackson had also had to face the disappointment of being rejected by the national selectors in 2015 when he was with an academy in Chandigarh.
Here are some interesting facts about Jeakson:
– Jeakson Singh Thounaojam hails from Thoubal, Manipur and is the part of the large Northeast contingent in the team.
– He was born on 21st June 2001.
– His favourite player is none other than Indian legend Bhaichung Bhutia, and Bengaluru FC is his favourite Indian team.
– Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets is his favourite international player, but his favourite international club is Barcelona’s rivals Real Madrid for whom he wants to play one day.
– Jeakson’s favourite city is Imphal, Capital of Manipur.
– Apart from football, he also loves Mixed Martial Arts.
– His favourite actor is John Abraham, and actress is Shruti Hassan.
– He likes to listen to Arjit Singh’s songs
– Amir Khan’s Taare Zameen Par is his favourite movie.
– Manipuri Food is his favourite cuisine.
Jeakson Singh Thaunaojam is a name that will forever be etched in the footballing history of India and the nation has definitely found a new sporting sensation in 17-year-old midfielder. Jeckson exploits on Monday against Colombia would surely ensure that football gets a boost in Manipur and other parts of the India.