- Okay! That ends a longggggg second ODI between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in Karachi. A quiet affair, with nothing happening outside the cricketing field. The third and final ODI will be played on Wednesday, 2nd October, 2019 at 3 pm local (1000 GMT). ADIOS! TAKE CARE!
- Victorious Pakistan captain, Sarfaraz Ahmed, is all smiles. On the big partnership blooming in the middle for Sri Lanka, Sarfaraz says that the bowlers need to work on being more consistent with their lines and lengths in the middle overs. With the bat, he wants batsmen to convert their starts and play a longer innings. On any possible changes for the final ODI, Ahmed says that he would like to play with his first-choice XI but also hints at giving a few chances to some new players.
- Sri Lankan skipper, Lahiru Thirimanne, praises the effort by Jayasuriya and Shanaka but is disappointed with the way his team handled the first 10 overs with the bat. On his team’s bowling, Thirimanne agrees that it was not bad but feels that they could have restricted Pakistan under 300. Stresses that the bowlers did well at few stages but towards the death, leaked a few runs. On the positives in this game, Lahiru cites Shehan Jayasuriya’s example and looks out for more youngsters to make the most of these opportunities.
- USMAN SHINWARI HAS BEEN NAMED THE MAN OF THE MATCH. Thanks the almighty for enabling him to make a comeback after 6 months. Assesses the wicket to be on the slower side and hence, he resorted to bowling cutters. On him doing well against Sri Lanka, Usman smiles and says that he was hit for a lot in his debut, hence, he is returning the favour. On his efforts to come back into international cricket, Shinwari says that he bent his back really hard to come back and the almighty helped him as well.
- Earlier in the day, a clinical batting display from Pakistan got them to 305 after electing to bat. The openers laid a solid platform and then Babar Azam played a calm knock of 115 to keep Sri Lanka at bay. Please stay tuned for the presentation…
- Usman Shinwari and Mohammad Amir used the new balls efficiently and made life miserable for the Lankans. Even though Usman got half the wickets of the entire team, everyone else, barring Shadab Khan was excellent. The leggie was having a bad outing, going for 76 in a shade under 10 overs.
- Shanaka’s calculated attack took some pressure off Jayasuriya who then started to come into his own. However, some cramps then hampered the latter before he eventually got out. Other than that stand, nothing much was worth writing about, except for Pakistan’s bowling in this innings.
- Chasing 306 to win, Sri Lanka got off to a horror start before two lesser known players got them back on track. Well, in front of the target, they were always behind the 8-ball but at least, that 177-run stand gave them some respect and hope. Either side of that partnership, only 61 runs were added. Shehan Jayasuriya was playing a calm knock but it was Dasun Shanaka who injected some momentum into the chase.
- Where did this match end? When Babar scored a century? When Pakistan crossed 300? When Sri Lanka were 28/5? Tough to say. Looking at the fight shown by Shanaka and Jayasuriya, if the top order had contributed a bit more, who knows, we might have had a different result.
- Right. The first complete ODI in Karachi in a long while. And Pakistan come out victorious. Not a surprise to many but that record 6th-wicket stand between Shanaka and Jayasuriya almost gave some other ideas.
- End of over 47 ( 6 Runs )SL 238/10Wanindu Hasaranga* 34(29)Nuwan Pradeep 0(0)10 wickets down for SL. Out batsman is Wanindu Hasaranga. It is all over for SL.10 wickets down for SL. Out batsman is Wanindu Hasaranga. It is all over for SL.46.5Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. out, OUT! Caught! That ends the game. PAKISTAN WIN BY 67 RUNS TO TAKE A 1-0 lead in the now turned 2-match series. A tossed up ball outside off, Hasaranga swings it towards deep mid-wicket but does not quite connect well. Iftikhar Ahmed comes running in from deep mid-wicket and pouches it, albeit a bit too quickly. The ball almost pops out but he controls it.
- 46.4Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. 2 runs, Dropped short, pulled through mid-wicket for a brace again.
- 46.3Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. 2 runs, Comes down the track once again and skews it over the infield, towards point. A couple more taken.
- 46.2Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, Outside off, Hasaranga gets down and initially lets it go but then looks to play the late dab. Is too late and gets beaten.
- 30 runs for Wanindu Hasaranga46.1Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. 2 runs, Full and outside off, driven through the covers for a couple.
- Nuwan Pradeep is the last man in. What can he do to add some more respect to the already respectable fightback from Sri Lanka?
- End of over 46 ( 6 Runs )SL 232/9Lahiru Kumara* 1(10)Wanindu Hasaranga 28(23)45.6Wahab Riaz to Lahiru Kumara. out, OUT! LBW! Number 9 goes down. Looked a harsh call to the naked eye but Sri Lanka do not have any review left. A length ball, around middle and off, cutting back in sharply, Kumara jumped to defend but was beaten by pace. The ball skid back sharply and caught him on the pads, Riaz appealed and the umpire raised his finger. Well… Ball Tracker shows it to be hitting leg. Perhaps Kumara expected a short ball.
- 45.5Wahab Riaz to Lahiru Kumara. no run, Landed outside off, Kumara gets across and shoulders arms.
- 45.4Wahab Riaz to Wanindu Hasaranga. 1 run, Outside off, dabbed to third man for a run.
- 45.3Wahab Riaz to Wanindu Hasaranga. FOUR, FOUR! Nicely struck. A length ball outside off, Hasaranga leans and lofts it as cleanly as a whistle, over cover for a boundary.
- 45.2Wahab Riaz to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, A full toss, wide outside off, played straight to point.
- 45.1Wahab Riaz to Lahiru Kumara. 1 run, Around middle, worked through mid-wicket for a single.
- End of over 45 ( 14 Runs )SL 226/8Wanindu Hasaranga* 23(19)Lahiru Kumara 0(7)44.6Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, That is slow, tossed up outside off and then turning away a mile, just like it would, in a play station game. (Ahh…those were the days) WH swings wildly and misses. 14 from the over but a good comeback from Shadab.
- 44.5Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, Shorter in length this time, a pull shot attempted, missed again.
- 44.4Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, Outside off, Hasaranga attempts a wild slog, only to miss.
- 44.3Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. SIX, SIX! CLOUT! Excellent connection. Shadab has been taken to the cleaners tonight. Full and outside off, Hasaranga comes down the track and hits this as straight as an arrow, over the bowler, in front of the sightscreen!
- 44.2Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. 2 runs, Looks to go big again but this time Shadab smartly throws it wider outside off. Wanindu is halfway down the track, nowhere near the pitch of the ball and luckily, he connects. Even though he top edges it, it is in no man’s land, well wide of the jogging Imad from extra cover. Two runs taken.
- 44.1Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. SIX, SIX! That is a glorious shot. Tossed up outside off, Hasaranga, himself a leg spinner, steps out, gets to the pitch of the ball and plays it with the turn over extra cover!
- Shadab Khan returns. 8-0-56-1 so far.
- End of over 44 ( 1 Runs )SL 212/8Lahiru Kumara* 0(7)Wanindu Hasaranga 9(13)43.6Wahab Riaz to Lahiru Kumara. no run, Outside off, flayed straight to point.
- 43.5Wahab Riaz to Lahiru Kumara. no run, Slower ball again, outside off, Kumara swings but misses.
- 43.4Wahab Riaz to Lahiru Kumara. no run, Trying to get the yorker in, extending himself, but it turns out to be a low full toss around leg stump. The tail-ender pushes this back to the bowler.
- 43.3Wahab Riaz to Lahiru Kumara. no run, Outside off, a push and a miss.
- 43.2Wahab Riaz to Wanindu Hasaranga. 1 run, Nicely done. A length ball outside off, Hasaranga arches back and deftly guides this wide of the slip cordon towards third man for a single.
- 43.1Wahab Riaz to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, Full and around middle, watchfully defended.
- Wahab Riaz time. 7-0-20-0 so far.
- End of over 43 ( 4 Runs )SL 211/8Lahiru Kumara* 0(1)Wanindu Hasaranga 7(9)42.6Usman Shinwari to Lahiru Kumara. no run, Landed outside off, Kumara has a wild slog, only to miss. End of a wonderful spell of bowling – 10-1-51-5.
- Lahiru Kumara walks in at number 10, replacing Udana.
- 5 wickets for Usman Shinwari. Usman Shinwari is killing SL5 wickets for Usman Shinwari. Usman Shinwari is killing SL42.5Usman Shinwari to Isuru Udana. out, OUT! Edged and caught behind. Lion-hearted effort from Usman Shinwari as he bags his second ODI 5-fer on a flat deck. He has come in and run very hard on a highway, as if to question the selectors, as to why, o why, was I left out of the World Cup squad. A slower ball, outside off, cutting away, Udana backs away and slogs hard, only managing a thick outside edge. Simple catch for Sarfaraz Ahmed.
- 42.4Usman Shinwari to Isuru Udana. no run, Full and around middle, Udana swings hard but gets a thick inside edge onto his pads. The ball deflects towards cover.
- 42.3Usman Shinwari to Wanindu Hasaranga. 1 run, Pushes this through mid on for a single.
- 42.2Usman Shinwari to Wanindu Hasaranga. 2 runs, High, high, high but not long. Luckily for the batsman, does not carry to the fielder. A length ball around middle, slower in pace, Hasaranga is early into his slog and the ball hits the toe end of his bat. Goes high in the air, but clears mid on, who cannot get to it even after running behind. Two runs taken.
- 42.2Usman Shinwari to Wanindu Hasaranga. wide, 1 run, WIDE. A nasty bouncer, following the batsman, but too high, down the leg side, from around the wicket. Hasaranga just about sways out in time.
- 42.1Usman Shinwari to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, A length ball around off, solidly defended.
- End of over 42 ( 2 Runs )SL 207/7Wanindu Hasaranga* 1(4)Isuru Udana 1(2)41.6Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. 1 run, Full and outside off, driven through the covers for a run. 2 runs and a wicket from the over, 5/2 in the last 2.
- 41.5Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, Landed outside off, played straight to point.
- 41.4Shadab Khan to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, Full and outside off, driven towards cover once again.
- 41.3Shadab Khan to Isuru Udana. 1 run, Full and outside off, pushed through the covers for a single.
- 41.2Shadab Khan to Isuru Udana. no run, Short and fast outside off, Udana swivels to pull but misses.
- Isuru Udana walks in at number 9 as suddenly, the match is hastening towards the close.
- 41.1Shadab Khan to Dasun Shanaka. out, OUT! Caught! That is a stunning catch from Fakhar Zaman. In the twinkle of an eye, both Batman and Robin have disappeared. First, Jayasuriya. Now, Shanaka. Short and outside off, Dasun rocks back and pulls it. The ball seems to be dipping towards deep mid-wicket but Fakhar Zaman comes running in and dives forward to take a brilliant catch. A fine 68 from Shanaka, his highest ODI score. Sadly for him and his team, this match is over.
- Shadab Khan is back on. 7-0-54-0 so far.
- End of over 41 ( 3 Runs )SL 205/6Wanindu Hasaranga* 0(1)Dasun Shanaka 73(89)40.6Usman Shinwari to Wanindu Hasaranga. no run, Around off, solidly defended from the crease. 3 runs and a wicket from the over, Shinwari’s figures read 9-1-47-4!
- Now come the power-hitters. Wanindu Hasaranga steps in at number 8.
- 40.5Usman Shinwari to Shehan Jayasuriya. out, OUT! Caught behind! No century for Jayasuriya. No double century stand. The 6th wicket stand has finally been broken. Usman gets his fourth. A length ball outside off, Shehan looks to push but misses. The ball goes behind, generating some noise and Sarfaraz immediately appeals. The umpire consents and Shehan walks back disappointed. He tried hard but the task was too mountainous for him. A fantastic 96 from a position where Sri Lanka were down and out at 28/5. Now, they need 102 from 55 balls.
- 40.4Usman Shinwari to Dasun Shanaka. 1 run, Full and around middle, swung towards mid-wicket for one.
- 40.3Usman Shinwari to Dasun Shanaka. no run, Full and around off, watchfully defended.
- 40.2Usman Shinwari to Shehan Jayasuriya. 1 run, Down the leg side, flicked away for a run.
- 40.1Usman Shinwari to Dasun Shanaka. 1 run, Full and around middle, swung towards wide long on for a single.
- POWERPLAY 3 time! 5 fielders allowed outside the 30-yard circle. Pakistan scored 89 from here. Sri Lanka need 105. Could we go down the wire?
- End of over 40 ( 4 Runs )SL 202/5Dasun Shanaka* 71(86)Shehan Jayasuriya 114(118)39.6Wahab Riaz to Dasun Shanaka. 1 run, Good fielding! A slower one on middle, the batter shuffles across and then hits it down towards fine leg. The fielder there runs to his right, dives and keeps it down to one. 104 needed in 60.
- 39.5Wahab Riaz to Shehan Jayasuriya. 1 run, On the shorter side outside off, Shehan hops and guides it down to third man for one.
- 39.4Wahab Riaz to Shehan Jayasuriya. no run, A short one on middle, it is ducked under.
- 200 runs for SL200 runs for SL200 runs for SL39.3Wahab Riaz to Dasun Shanaka. 1 run, On middle, this is worked around the corner for one. 200 up for Sri Lanka.
- 39.2Wahab Riaz to Dasun Shanaka. no run, That was pacey! Shorter and closer to the body of the batter. Cramping him for room. Shanaka looks to guide it down to third man but is beaten.
- 39.1Wahab Riaz to Shehan Jayasuriya. 1 run, Good length outside off, this is guided down to third man for one.
- Wahab Riaz is back on! His figures so far 6-0-16-0
SL 193/5 in 38 overs vs PAK LIVE: Jayasuriya and Shanaka have shifted to the next gear. There was a brief stoppage in play as one of the floodlight towers had gone off.
SL 180/5 in 37 overs vs PAK LIVE: Shehan Jayasuriya and Dasun Shanaka are putting up quite a fight in Karachi. The duo are currently on an unbeaten 152-run partnership for the sixth wicket.
SL 140/5 in 32 overs vs PAK LIVE: Shehan Jayasuriya and Dasun Shanaka have steadied the Sri Lankan innings.
SL 76/5 in 19 overs vs PAK LIVE: Sri Lanka are tottering at the moment. The required run-rate has slowly crept over 7 and with only 5 wickets remaining, chances for a win for Sri Lanka diminish with every over.
SL 39/5 in 12 overs vs PAK LIVE: Imad Wasim is the latest to add his name to the wickets tally as Sri Lanka crumble in Karachi.
SL 28/4 in 10 overs vs PAK LIVE: Usman Shinwari’s dual strikes, first of Sadeera Samarawickrama and then Avishka Fernando has put the hosts in total control.
SL 19/1 in 5 overs vs PAK LIVE: Usman Shinwari struck first for Pakistan dismissing Samarawickrama for 6.
SL 14/0 in 3 overs vs PAK LIVE: Sri Lanka are watchful at the start and have ensured they don’t lose early wickets.
PAK 305/7 in 50 overs vs SL LIVE: Sri Lanka have conceded 89 in the last 10 overs. Iftikhar Ahmed’s pyrotechnics help Pakistan post a strong total of 305/7.
Sri Lanka have done well to restrict Pakistan to just over 300, specially after at one point of time, the hosts were looking at a target over 350+.
PAK 285/6 in 49 overs vs SL LIVE: Sri Lanka have applied the brakes on Pakistan’s run-scoring with wickets falling at regular intervals.
PAK 269/5 in 47 overs vs SL LIVE: Babar Azam was dismissed for 115 on the penultimate delivery of the 45th over by Lahiru Kumar.
PAK 251/4 in 45 overs vs SL LIVE: Babar Azam has scored his 11th ODI hundred which has put Pakistan in the driver’s seat. Babar’s century is also the first ODI century at the National Stadium since 2009.
PAK 201/2 in 37 overs vs SL LIVE: Babar Azam leading the Pakistan attack in Karachi! Pakistan in search for a huge finish.
Pak 158/2 in 32 vs SL LIVE: Babar Azam has just brought up his 16th half-century.
Pak 135/2 in 27 vs SL LIVE: Pakistan has lost both their openers. Fakhar Zaman was dismissed for 54 off 65 balls. Babar Azam and Haris Sohail are in the middle.
Pak 66/0 in 13 vs SL LIVE: Pakistan openers Fakhar Zaman (39 off 44 balls) and Imam-ul-Haq (27 off 34 balls) have got their side off to the perfect start. They have mixed aggression with caution and are now well settled in the middle. Both the openers are approaching fifties. Pakistan would hope both of them carry on.
Pak 22/0 in 5 vs SL LIVE: Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI
Pakistan win the toss and will bat first.
Pakistan XI: 1 Fakhar Zaman, 2 Imam-ul-Haq, 3 Babar Azam, 4 Haris Sohail, 5 Iftikhar Ahmed, 6 Sarfraz Ahmed (capt, wk), 7 Imad Wasim, 8 Shadab Khan, 9 Wahab Riaz, 10 Mohammad Amir, 11 Usman Shinwari
Sri Lanka XI: 1 Lahiru Thirimanne (capt), 2 Sadeera Samarawickrama (wk), 3 Danushka Gunathilaka, 4 Avishka Fernando, 5 Oshada Fernando, 6 Shehan Jayasuriya, 7 Dasun Shanaka, 8 Isuru Udana, 9 Wanindu Hasaranga, 10 Nuwan Pradeep, 11 Lahiru Kumara
What: Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI
When: 3:30 PM IST on September 30 (Monday).
Where: National Stadium in Karachi.
Broadcast: Sony Six and Sony Six HD in India.
Streaming: Jio TV, Airtel TV
Live updates: Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI
After rain dashed the excitement during the 1st ODI, 2nd ODI had to be rescheduled. The crowd would be excited once again to welcome international cricket in Pakistan soil after 10 years. Hosts Pakistan will start as favourites against a depleted Sri Lankan outfit. Sarfaraz and his men would be mindful of not taking Sri Lanka lightly as they can spring a surprise.
Pakistan: Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam, Haris Sohail, Sarfaraz Ahmed (C & WK) Asif Ali, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Amir, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Hasnain, Abid Ali, Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Usman Shinwari.
Sri Lanka: Avishka Fernando, Sadeera Samarawickrama (wk), Lahiru Thirimanne (C), Oshada Fernando, Shehan Jayasuriya, Dasun Shanaka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Isuru Udana, Lahiru Kumara, Nuwan Pradeep, Lakshan Sandakan, Danushka Gunathilaka, Angelo Perera, Minod Bhanuka, Kasun Rajitha.