Pakistan and China have refused to send their athletes for the ISSF World Cup starting in New Delhi starting March 15 at the Dr. Karni Singh Ranges. China withdrew its entries considering the Ministry of External Affairs and the Ministry of Health’s remained firm on their stance of refusing to grant visas to the country’s participants following the severe outbreak of Corona Virus which has resulted in the loss of lives of over 1800 people. Also Read - Call on Shooting World Cup to be Taken Once Lockdown Ends: NRAI Official
“It is completely their call and not prompted by the Indian government. I think it is a wise call. They informed us because hotel bookings and other arrangements had been made for them,” Raninder Singh, president of National Rifle Association of India, told Times of India. Also Read - Door Open For India to Host Commonwealth Shooting Championships in 2022 Following CWG Snub
The decision was made moments after the two bodies refused to grant visas to Chinese wrestlers wanting to participating in the Asian Wrestling Championships beginning Tuesday. Also Read - International Olympic Committee (IOC) Takes Away 2 Quotas, Spares 14 at Delhi Shooting World Cup; NRAI Says Thanks to ISSF
Besides China, Pakistan, who were banned from the competition last year as well due to tensions between the two countries as a result of the Pulwama attack, have also decided not to send their shooters to India for the World Cup. The last time it happened, India were in risk of losing future global shooting events, however, the World Cup hosting rights remained with India and with Pakistan pulling out of the event themselves, no harm should come to India’s reputation to stage tournaments going ahead.
“Three of our shooters have qualified for Tokyo and we were looking for a coach for them. We have found a coach in Germany and he will be free only in March to train our shooters. It makes no sense to send our shooters for the World Cup and miss the training in Germany,” NRAI vice-president Javaid Lodhi told TOI.