League leaders Liverpool will host Arsenal at the Anfield Stadium on 29th December, in what is set to be a blockbuster match in the Premier League. The fixture will also mark the last matches for both the teams.
Unai Emery-led Arsenal are currently in the fifth position and drew to Brighton in their previous fixture. Liverpool performed well last year and went to be Champions League finalists and are in high flying form this campaign as well.
It will be a tough challenge ahead for the Arsenal manager and the match will be even more interesting because Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool are yet to be defeated in the league this season.
Arsenal had a poor 2017-18 season, finishing sixth and failing to win any trophy, whereas Liverpool were Champions League finalists. Traditionally, this fixture has never disappointed and there is always bound to be drama, goals and plenty of skills.
Five players to watch out for in this fixture are –
1) Mohammed Salah: The Egyptian won the Premier League player of the year and the golden boot (Top scorer) award in last year’s campaign. This season, he took his time to get in form but he has hit form and Arsenal defenders are well aware that they will be facing one of the best forwards in the world. He is also just two goals behind the top scorer spot this season.
2) Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang: The forward got off to a flying start after he was signed from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018. His pace and finishing make him absolutely lethal up-front and he is the current top scorer in the Premier League.
3) Mesut Ozil: The 5-time German national player of the year recently faced a lot of media attention after he retired from international football citing racism as the reason. This issue raised eyebrows across the footballing world. Ozil was signed for a club-record 42.5 million and won Arsenal’s player of the season in 2016, registering Premier League’s all-time second highest assists.
4) Virgil Van Dijk: The world’s most expensive defender in football history. That conveys the talent the Dutchman possesses and he has certainly lived up to the expectations ever since he was brought in from his former club Southampton. He is of the key reasons for Liverpool’s top form in the league this campaign.
5) Roberto Firmino: The Brazilian is good on and off the ball. He can create chances, he can score and he can win balls for his team when required. An all-round footballer, and a very diificult one for defenders to contain.