Real Madrid Star Karim Benzema Handed One-Year Suspended Sentence in Sex-Tape Case

Benzema has always denied the allegations and insisted he was only trying to help Valbuena get rid of the compromising video.

Published: November 24, 2021 9:07 PM IST

By India.com Sports Desk | Edited by Debayan Bhattacharyya

Karim Benzema, Karim Benzema news, Karim Benzema Updates, Karim Benzema Jail, Karim Benzema Sexting, Karim Benzema Football, Karim Benzema Latest News, Karim Benzema Latest Updates, Karim Benzema Latest Pics, Karim Benzema Latest news, Karim Benzema Latest Updates, Karim Benzema News, Karim Benzema Jailed, Karim Benzema sex tape, Karim Benzema Leaked Sex Tape, Karim Benzema Sex Tape Updates, Karim Benzema Latest Sex Tape News, Karim Benzema Latest Updates, Karim Benzema Football, Karim Benzema Banned from Team, Karim Benzema Goals, Karim Benzema Records, Karim Benzema Suspended, Karim Benzema Suspended for One year, Karim Benzema jailed, Karim Benzema News, France Karim Benzema, French Karim Benzema
Karim Benzema. (Instagram)

Paris, Nov 24: Real Madrid and French superstar, Karim Benzema have been given a one-year suspended sentence in jail, as he is found guilty in a sex-tape case involving his former teammate, Mathieu Valbuena.

Also Read:

The former Lyon forward is also fined 75,000 euros for the case and he is expected to start on Wednesday night For Los Blancos, when they play FC Sheriff Tiraspol in the Champions League.

The 33-year old Benzema was one of five people put on trial last month over an attempt to extort Valbuena. Four of his co-defendants in the trial were also found guilty on Wednesday and were handed jail sentences ranging from 18 months suspended to two-and-a-half years in prison.

Benzema was not in court in the Paris suburb of Versailles for the verdict. However, his lawyers present there also said they would appeal his conviction.

“The reaction is ultimately an angry one to this judgment which is perfectly contradictory,” his lawyer, Sylvain Cormier, told reporters outside court.

Notably, the case dates back to June 2015, when both Benzema and Valbuena were at a French training camp. At the camp, Benzema put pressure on Valbuena to pay off the blackmailers, whom he had conspired with to act as an intermediary, the prosecutors said.

However, Benzema has always denied the allegations and insisted he was only trying to help Valbuena get rid of the compromising video, a BBC report said.

Both players had lost their national team places after that scandal and it also stunned the football community in France.

Benzema made a surprise comeback to the French national team in May this year. The French football federation last month also said that a guilty verdict would not necessarily damage Benzema’s position in the national team.

Since being called back by France manager Didier Deschamps, Benzema has been in prolific form, scoring nine times in 13 games for his country. He’s also scored ten goals this season for his club, Real Madrid, who are yet to comment on the verdict.

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest Sports News on India.com.

Published Date: November 24, 2021 9:07 PM IST