Wayne Rooney Turned Down Approach to Discuss Vacant Everton Manager Job, Says Derby County More Important Now
Former Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney revealed that he was forced to decline interview for Everton's manager as he has got a job to do at Derby County.
London: Former Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney revealed that he was forced to decline interview for Everton’s manager as he has got a job to do at Derby County which he feels to be an important job and reckons that he is 100 per cent ready to become a Premier League manager and if it happens to be with Everton in the future, it would be absolutely great.
The former Everton forward, who has impressed under difficult circumstances at Derby this season, had been reported as a candidate for the Goodison Park job after the dismissal of Rafael Benitez.
You may like to read
Speaking at his press conference on Friday, the Derby County manager said: “Everton approached my agent and asked me to interview for the vacant job, which I turned down.
“I believe that I will be a Premier League manager and I believe I’m ready for that 100 per cent, and if that is with Everton one day in the future that’d be absolutely great. But I’ve got a job here to do at Derby County which is an important job to me,” Rooney was quoted as saying by Sky Sports.
Asked if it was a hard decision to not speak to Everton, Rooney added, “Yes, of course, I did [think hard about it]. They got in touch with my agent and my agent let the administrators know as well. Of course, it was a very difficult decision for me.”
Everton continue their search for a successor to Rafael Benitez since the former Liverpool boss was relieved of his duties after just 200 days in the wake of the recent 2-1 defeat to Norwich. A 2-1 loss to embattled Norwich was the final nail in the coffin of long-disliked manager Benitez and came just days after the club allowed France international Lucas Digne to join Aston Villa.
The club’s owner Farhad Moshiri flew to London to hold talks with Pereira, Lampard and Ferguson on Friday morning. Former Porto and Fenerbahce manager Pereira has been in contention for the Everton job twice in the past, losing out to Roberto Martinez in 2013 followed by Marco Silva in 2018.
(With IANS Inputs)
For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest Sports News on India.com.