Two-time champion Roger Federer announced that he will not play in the Rogers Cup this August. Citing major scheduling issues and wanting to keep his own playing career going for as long as possible because of them, the 20-time Grand Slam winner expressed regret for missing the annual Canadian tennis tournament this year. Also Read - Rafael Nadal Continues His Domination on Clay, Wins 12th Barcelona Open Title
“I’m so disappointed not to play at the Rogers Cup this summer,” Federer said in a statement. “I had a fantastic time in Montreal last year and always enjoy playing in front of the Canadian fans. I have regrettably decided to withdraw from Toronto this year. I wish the tournament every success and am sorry to miss it.” Also Read - Serbian Model Reveals Bombshell Plot to Blackmail Novak Djokovic in Sex-Extortion Scam
Though Federer won’t be in attendance due to hectic scheduling, other renowned names like — world no.1 Rafael Nadal, Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic, Alexander Zverev, and Canadians Milos Raonic and Denis Shapovalov will all be in attendance at the ATP Masters 1000 event, starting from August 4. Also Read - Tennis: Novak Djokovic Joins Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer in Skipping Miami Open 2021, Says Need to Use This Time to Spend Time With Family
The 36-year old Federer has not played since falling to Kevin Anderson in the quarterfinals at the All England Club in an epic five-setter. Federer is two-time champion at the Rogers Cup, which alternates venues each year between Montreal and Toronto.
The Swiss maestro has reached the final on his last visit to Toronto in 2014 where he lost to Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and was also a runner-up last year in Montreal after losing to Alexander Zverev.
Germany’s young star Zverev will attempt to successfully defend his title, while Milos Raonic and #NextGenATP star Denis Shapovalov lead the local charge.
“We are excited to have nine of the Top 10 on the ATP World Tour at the Rogers Cup, but it’s unfortunate that we won’t have Roger in Toronto this summer,” said Tournament Director Karl Hale. “With current World No. 1 Rafael Nadal, Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic plus Toronto’s hometown heroes in Milos and Denis legitimate title threats, this year’s entry list is one of the most exciting in recent memory. With the improvements, we have made around the site and the festival of events we have planned, fans are in for a real treat.”
The event takes place Aug. 4-12 at the Aviva Centre in Toronto.