Each year, we see a host of new apps come up in the market and while manage to crack to code, for others, it is extremely difficult to get far. There are millions of apps in Google Play and whatever you dream of, there’s an app for it. Apps have seriously made our world a lot more easy and are a great way to also learn new things. Apps teach a whole lot of things and simply make our life easier. While some of these apps are purely for fun, others are of a more serious nature and help us in some way or the other. Our reliance on all of these apps has considerably increased over the years and today, we rely on these apps even for the most basic of our activities. Want to wake up? There’s a cool alarm app. Want to exercise regularly, there’s an app for that. Just dream of it and you have an app ready. Apps are really cool and fun ways to spice up your smartphone and also at times, help you get through the monotony of the day.
While the app world is majorly divided into 2 players – Android and iOS, there are a lot of third party apps in the market too or apps that are created for other OS platforms which are still functional – like Blackberry OS or Windows apps. But then, coming to the most basic of the 2 apps – Android and iOS, the way these apps function is completely different. While users of iOS are a lot more likely to purchase apps, users of Android prefer free apps. Also, the type of apps downloaded by both users are very different. But then, coming to Indian users, our tastes in apps are a world apart. Not because of our interests but also because of our cultures and our region. We prefer apps according to our likes. While some of the most famous apps in the world have gone viral even in India, some have completely failed to take off. Google has finally released a list of which apps rocked India in 2016 and were the most trending apps in the country. And if you though Pokemon Go would top the charts, you thought wrong!
Here’s a list of the top 5 trending apps in India in 2016 and the list is extremely surprising to say in the least! This app lets you scan Rs 2000 note and view PM Narendra Modi’s message right on the note!
1. BeautyPlus Me – Perfect Camera: Clealry, Indians obsession with looks continues. Selfies have made the world crazy and Indians perhaps top the charts. We have seen Indians take selfies in any and every situation and while some have proved to be fatal, some others simply went viral. The BeautyPlus Me – Perfect Camera app helps edit the selfies and enhance them. It does not only help give the perfect tone and shade, it also enhances the image and lets the user edit every aspect of the image. According to the app’s descripton on Google Play – “Creating beautiful and natural looking selfies has never been easier. BeautyPlus Me is a professional photo editing app – a tool that is easy to use, downloads quickly and gives flawless perfect results. This is a lighter version of Beauty Plus, which uses less space. Edits are so subtle that no one will ever suspect you’ve used an app and designed exclusively for daily selfie takers.” The app also supports regional languages, making it more attractive to Indian users. Reliance Global Call unveils international calling app with international calls for just Rs 1.2 per minute!
2. Voot TV Shows Movies Cartoons: The next thing Indians love is entertainment. We love our TV and our saas bahu sagas. While we finally have Netflix in the country, for the longest time, we only had YouTube as our buddy. Voot is the app created by Viacom 18 which gives all the TV shows across all Viacom 18 channels for free viewing to the users. Additionally, there are also movies that are showcased. The content is not restricted to only adults with even kids having content for themselves on the app. According to the Voot TV Shows Movies Cartoons app description on Google Play – “Voot is a mobile first video on demand platform, part of Viacom 18 Digital Ventures, the digital arm of Viacom 18 – one of the country’s largest growing media networks offering on demand TV. With over 28,000 hours of exciting content for audiences with varying choices and preferences, covering Colors Hindi, MTV, Nickelodeon, Viacom18 Motion Pictures, Colors Infinity, Colors Kannada, Colors Marathi, Colors Bangla and Colors Gujarati, Voot offers the biggest TV Shows,, Blockbuster Bollywood Movies, Indian TV serials, your favorite Toons & Voot Originals, absolutely Free.” Instagram copies Snapchat again, launches disappearing Live videos and messages
3. Google Duo: Video calling apps litter the market but there aren’t many as conveneint as Google Duo. There’s a host of options for video callers and some of the apps come with a lot of inbuilt features but when it is a Google offering, Indians love to pounce on it. Google Duo is a simple video calling app to help you stay connected. The simple layout and the ease of use have endeared it to Indians. According to Google Duo app description on Google Play – “Duo is a one-to-one video calling app for everyone – designed to be simple, reliable and fun so you never miss a moment. Features: 1. Simple interface – Pick a loved one and jump right in, with a simple interface that brings video to the forefront. 2. Knock Knock – See the caller before you pick up with Duo’s live preview feature. 3. High quality video – Experience faster and more reliable video calls whether you’re on Wi-Fi or on-the-go. 4. Cross-platform – Video call all your friends across Android and iOS with just one simple app.” It’s another Google offering to make life easier. MobiKwik launches MobiKwik Lite wallet app for Indians still stuck on to 2G and slow internet
4. Mr Voonik: If you thought only women loved shopping, think again! The one shopping app that is the most trending in the country and it is for men! Says a lot about the tastes and how they are evolving! Mr Voonik is a men-only version of the popular e-commerce site Voonik that deals in clothes, accessories, etc. This app has the offerings only for men making it one of the more exclusive apps in the country. Clearly, we can see where the popularity of Mr. Voonik comes from! According to the app description on Google Play: “In Mr Voonik you can shop for T-Shirts, Shirts, Shoes, Jeans, Trousers, Watches, Inner-wear, Sunglasses, Belts, Watches, Casual Shoes and much more at everyday low prices. DISCOUNTS & OFFERS: More than 2000 sellers on Mr Voonik. Shop from Levi’s, Zafraa, Jockey, Lee, Pepe Jeans, Spykar, Raymond, Police, Tommy Hilfiger, Titan, Fast Track, Puma, Mr Button and much more international brands in a single checkout. Shop for clothes that suit your body shape, color choice & style. Free personal stylist in the app.” Yes, men, go shop. No one will judge you.
5. Tap Emoji Keyboard: Clearly, we are not happy with the way the current keyboards work and are seeking a change. While there are not many who download keyboards, there are some who like to experiment and prefer to personalise their keyboard as that is one of the most important aspect of a phone. With emoticons taking over the world, there are keyboards created specially only for emoticons and emojis. Tap Emoji Keyboard is one such keyboard which adds a lot of fun to the way we type and talk. According to the description on Google Play, “Tap Emoji Keyboard is a smart and cute keyboard app which is highly customized compared with other Android keyboards. It alters how fast you could ever text with elaborate word predictions. In order to help our users fully enjoy texting, Tap Emoji Keyboard provides 400+ cute emojis for Android, massive emoticons and keyboard skins. Meanwhile, being a smart tool enables Tap Emoji Keyboard to impersonate one’s typing habit across Facebook, Messenger, Gmail, iCloud and Instagram and delivers more smooth and fun experiences to our users. Consider Tap Emoji Keyboard as a multi-language supporting keyboard, accordingly, have our vocabulary and emojis localized is a matter of fact that we value very much. “