New Delhi: On September 12 2018, Apple finally announced the next generation of iPhones and this time around, there was not one, not two but three new iPhones. While the iPhone XS made a much-awaited entrance, the iPhone XS Max stole the show! Now, a few days after its international debut, the new iPhones have finally graced our humble shores.
The iPhone XS and XS Max are not just for the tech savvy. These phones are designed for those who want the latest tech inside a luxurious package and boy does the new iPhones deliver it in spades. Though the new handsets may seem like an incremental upgrade over the iPhone X, Apple has packed it with enough tech to make them annihilate the competition.
1) Brand new size – Gone are the days where small iPhones would rule the roost. Apple has now decided that the new X-series of devices are here to stay and with it, there is a new naming scheme – Max! The iPhone XS Max is more than just an S upgrade, as it boasts a 6.5-inch display in the footprint of a Plus handset. The huge OLED display is the largest found on an iPhone and it supports HDR and wide colour as well and it has an insane resolution of 2688 x 1242 with a pixel density of 458ppi.
2) The new chipset – If you are under the impression that Apple would rest on its laurels and just add an incremental upgrade to the processor, then you can guess again as the new XS Max comes with an A12 Bionic processor that’s significantly faster than the MacBook-beating A11 Bionic chipset. Also, don’t forget that it’s the industry first with a 7nm fabrication which is not available on any other handset in the market thus far. The A12 not only sports a CPU and GPU, but also boasts a neural engine as well. The new processor will help in enhanced AR experiences, something that we are definitely excited about. Also for those who are minutely searching for every last spec, the iPhone XS Max features a 4GB RAM that’s up from 3GB found on the iPhone X.
3) Dual-SIM finally – The new iPhone XS Max now comes with dual-SIM capabilities, something that will definitely appease the consumers in the largest mobile markets in the world – China and India. However, we don’t find the dual-SIM setup that’s found on Android handsets; instead, Apple has introduced an e-SIM technology which is supported by carriers such as Reliance Jio and Airtel in India. Apart from this, another exciting feature is that the handset comes with a Gigabit-class LTE making this iPhone upgrade all the more enticing.
4) Cameras – As is the case with every new iPhone upgrade, Apple has vastly improved upon the camera technology found in the XS and XS Max. The bokeh mode is taken to a whole new level, there is a better facial segmentation and what may please many, Apple has now thrown in a feature allowing you to adjust the depth effect later. The depth of field can be adjusted in not only the rear cameras but also in the front-facing selfie camera as well.
5) Smart HDR – Apple’s neural engine in the A12 Bionic processor allows for Smart HDR, a brand-new feature with the iPhone XS Max. With this feature on board, the cameras are capable of capturing brilliant photos even in bad lighting conditions. That’s not all, the cameras are now capable of facial recognition, facial landmarking, depth mapping and a host of other nifty tricks. The Smart HDR allows for better dynamic range and crisp details. All in all, this is one great camera.
Written by Rajesh and Prashant