The summer heat is killing most of us and we’re dreading the thought of what it’s going to be like in May! The sun has no plans of sparing any one of us! But if you’re looking for that one place where the summer heat doesn’t catch up, even in May, then Dras is the destination meant for you. Here are 11 pretty pictures of Dras that will make you want to visit Dras this summer! Also Read - 'Must be Set Free,' Omar Abdullah Calls to Release Mehbooba Mufti From Detention
DON’T MISS More Photos Also Read - CRPF Jawan Martyred, Another Injured as Militant Hurls Grenade at Patrolling Party in Kashmir
1. Dras is a hamlet located approximately 60 km from Kargil in Jammu and Kashmir. The village is located on the road between Srinagar and Kargil.
2. It is known to be the second coldest inhabited place on earth after Oymyakon in Russia.
ALSO READ 10 places in India where summers feel like winter Also Read - Mehbooba Mufti Shifted to Official Residence, But Detention to Continue
3. Dras is the first town located after the Zoji La mountain pass.
4. Dras is popularly referred to as the gateway to Ladakh.
5. The natives of Dras belong to the Dard community and they speak the Shina language.
ALSO READ 15 chilly summer vacation destinations around the world
6. One of the popular places to visit in Dras is the Kargil War memorial but in honor of soldiers who protect the border.
7. Despite having subarctic climate conditions, Dras has a population of over a 1,000 people.
8. Dras is located at an elevation of over 3,280 m above sea level.
9. The trek to Dras takes around three days from the Suru valley or the Mushkhu valley.
ALSO READ 6 places in India that are strikingly similar to those in Game of Thrones
10. May is the last month of winter in Dras.
11. The lowest temperature drop observed in Dras was during the winter of 1995, when the temperature dropped to as less as -60ºC
ALSO READ Tired of commercialized destinations? Check these places out!
Have something to add to this story? Post your comments in the discussion board below; we will be thrilled to hear from you!