Also Read - Dress Like 'Proper' Indian to Get Driving Licence
There are several countries across the globe where you can probably drive with an Indian Driving Licence along with an International Driving Permit. Though most people have their four-wheeler and two-wheeler licence in place, procuring an I.D.P. becomes a tough job at hand. Also Read - Driving Licences: Govt to Remove Minimum Educational Qualification Requirement; 22 Lakh People to be Benefited
If you love travelling and the idea of driving on international roads even more, then here are a few requirements to get your I.D.P. in line as soon as possible. Also Read - No plans to hang boots: 97-yr-old Indian-origin man renews driving licence in UAE
1. Application Form CMV 4-A is available at the R.T.O. branch of your city or you can download from the particular website of the state you belong to.
2. You will be charged an I.D.P. fee which is payable at the cash counter at the R.T.O.
3. Original valid driving licence, Passport, Visa, and the Air Ticket, all with one set xerox copies, have to be submitted along with attestations.
4. Medical Certificate has to be enclosed along with the application.
5. Four recent passport size photographs.
6. The candidate needs to appear in person.
7. The applicant should be a citizen of India.
8. The applicant shall appear for re-test if the driving licence issued is within three months of application. For example, if your driving licence is issued in the month of August and you apply for the I.D.P. in the month of September, you will probably have to appear for a retest for verification reasons.
9. The address on the driving licence should fall under the jurisdiction of the Regional Transport Office to where the application for I.D.P. is being made.
Once you keep all the requirements in place, applying and obtaining an International Driving Permit will become easy and less time consuming a process. The I.D.P. can be collected as per the date mentioned by the officials while submitting your documents.
*An I.D.P. is valid only for one year from the time of issuance. In case you’re already in another country when the date of expiry of your I.D.P. comes close, you cannot renew it unless you’re back and you’re present for the entire process to take place.