As the ninth season of IPL continues to make waves with one thrilling encounter after another, the cricket stadiums these matches are played on have become battlegrounds for the teams competing against each other. With names like Knight riders and Daredevils, Supergiants and Lions, the tournament has become synonymous with a sporting war and the competition is more cut-throat than ever. It is amazing how IPL has become such a huge part of sporting culture in India! With a great mix of Indian and International players, each of whom have great careers and records to boast of, the tournament brings together the finest cricketing talent on the planet. Add to this the passion of cricket fans cheering for their home cities and what you have is a stadium full of nerves, adrenaline, anxiety, anger and joy. Also Read - 'Public-Private Sectors Must Come Together to Combat Coronavirus,' Says Health Minister Harsh Vardhan
ALSO SEE IPL 2016 schedule and venues: Do not miss the biggest cricketing event in India Also Read - Demand for N95 Masks, Sanitisers Shoots Up Amid Coronavirus Scare in Delhi-NCR
IPL 2016: 10 cricket stadiums venues in India for IPL season 9 Also Read - Uttar Pradesh: 6 Killed as Car Drifts Off Road, Falls Into Canal Due to Fog in Greater Noida
One such stadium for the IPL is Delhi Daredevils’ home venue and one of India’s historic cricket grounds, the Feroze Shah Kotla. Here are some amazing facts about this New Delhi stadium which has witnessed some mind-blowing cricketing moments:
1. The Feroze Shah Kotla is the second oldest international cricket stadium in India. It was built in 1883 by Sultan Feroze Shah Tughlaq in the vicinity of the Feroze Shah Kotla fortress.
2. The first international cricket match played at the Feroze Shah Kotla was a test match between India and the West Indies in 1948.
CHECK OUT 5 sightseeing places in Bangalore near the M Chinnaswamy Stadium
Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium: 5 interesting facts about Gujarat Lions home ground
3. The ground has witnessed some record-breaking cricket performances with the most prominent ones being Anil Kumble’s 10-wicket bowling spell against Pakistan and Sachin Tendulkar’s 35th test century beating Sunil Gavaskar’s 34 making him the batsman with most number of International centuries.
4. The Feroze Shah Kotla ground has been serving as the home venue for the Delhi Daredevils team since the inception of the Indian Premier League in 2008. It has also been home to the Delhi Ranji team and has been a spot for selectors to hunt for the best cricketing talent in India.
DO READ 4 tourist places to visit in Kolkata after the match at Eden Gardens
M Chinnaswamy Stadium: Amazing facts about Bengalurus magnificent cricket ground
5. With regard to International cricket, India has been the most successful team at the Feroze Shah Kotla stadium with a total number of 10 victories here. Anil Kumble has been the most successful bowler with a total of 58 wickets and Dilip Vengsarkar has been the most successful batsman with a total of 671 runs here.
Tell us which are the matches you are most excited about and also the places you would like to visit during this IPL season!