The ancient fort is situated on the bank of river Imphal. Kangla was the seat of King Pakhangba in 33 AD. The monarchy of Manipur was found and enlarged from Kangla. Its brick walls were constructed in 1632 AD, after acquiring the skills from Chinese prisoners captured during war. The fort is surrounded by a moat. It was under control of Assam Rifles until 2003. Manipur Kings had a royal polo ground within the Kangla Fort.