‘Some People Opened Cans Of Poisonous Substance Causing Hathras Stampede’: Bhole Baba’s Lawyer

AP Singh alleged a conspiracy as he claimed that Bhole Baba's "rising popularity" is the reason behind the stampede.

Published date india.com Published: July 7, 2024 5:18 PM IST
Poisonous Substance, Hathras Stampede, Bhole Baba, godman, Hathras, Satsang, Surajpal, Narayan Sakar Hari, Uttar Pradesh, Devprakash Madhukar, Sikandra Rao police station

New Delhi: AP Singh, the lawyer of self-styled godman Bhole Baba alleged on Sunday that witnesses told him that some people opened cans containing a poisonous substance in the crowd during the July 2 Hathras ‘Satsang’, which caused the stampede.

AP Singh, addressing a press conference in New Delhi, also alleged a conspiracy as he claimed that Bhole Baba’s “rising popularity” is the reason behind the stampede.

121 people, mostly women, died on July 2 in a stampede after the ‘Satsang’ of self-styled godman Surajpal alias Narayan Sakar Hari alias Bhole Baba in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras.

“Witnesses have reached out to me and said there were 15-16 people carrying cans of a poisonous substance that they opened in the crowd. I have seen post-mortem reports of those killed and it showed that they died of asphyxiation and not because of injuries,” Singh claimed as he alleged a conspiracy behind the stampede.

Add India.com as a Preferred SourceAdd India.com as a Preferred Source

He said, “There were vehicles parked at the site to help the men escape. We have proof and we will submit it. This is the first time I am speaking about it.”

He also claimed that the witnesses who reached out to him requested anonymity and said “We will demand security for them.”

So far, nine people, including key accused Devprakash Madhukar, have been arrested in connection with the stampede.

On Saturday, Hathras police said it was also probing into the suspected funding of the congregation by a political party and warned of the “strictest possible” action against it.

Madhukar was the main organiser and fundraiser of the ‘Satsang’ where more than 2.5 lakh people had gathered, much beyond the permitted limit of 80,000, officials had said.

Bhole Baba was not mentioned as an accused in the FIR lodged at the local Sikandra Rao police station.

A probe panel member said that the judicial commission set up by the Uttar Pradesh government will speak to anyone required for its inquiry.

The commission will also issue a public notice soon, asking locals and witnesses to share any evidence related to the stampede, along with their statements, another member and chairperson of the panel, retired Allahabad High Court judge Brijesh Kumar Shrivastava, told reporters in Hathras.

(With PTI inputs)

Also Read:

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest Uttar Pradesh News on India.com.

By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts Cookies Policy.