With coronavirus uprooting lives and destroying economies, doctors and researchers around the world are trying to find solutions to the global crisis. Meanwhile, in the fight against the deadly virus, there’s one simple measure that we are all advised to take, but many find it almost impossible-to stop touching our faces. Also Read - Delhi Unlock: From Restaurant Timings to New Rules For Bars, All Your FAQs Answered

So, one astrophysicist in Australia decided to find a solution to this problem by trying to invent a device to warn people to stop touching their face. However, the experiment didn’t end well and hilarity ensued as he ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building the device. Also Read - International Yoga Day 2021 LIVE Updates: India Celebrates Yoga Day; President, Union Ministers Participate

The incident happened on Thursday night when Dr Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at Melbourne’s Swinburne University, was busy building a necklace that sounds an alarm on facial contact. However, having no experience or expertise in building circuits or things, he dropped the idea and started playing with magnets. Also Read - Major Milestone: Andhra Pradesh Sets New Record by Vaccinating 13.45 Lakh People in a Day

“It’s the same logic as clipping pegs to your ears – I clipped them to my earlobes and then clipped them to my nostril and things went downhill pretty quickly when I clipped the magnets to my other nostril”, he told The Guardian.

He further narrated how he placed two magnets inside his nostrils, and two on the outside, following which they got stuck inside together. Now, in an attempt to remove them, he placed the other 2 magnets inside as well.

When he removed the magnets from the outside of his nose, the two inside stuck together. Unfortunately, the researcher then attempted to use his remaining magnets to remove them, but they clipped on each other leaving two of those in his left nostril in his left nose and other in his right.

After the unintentional mishap, there was no other option but to go to the hospital, where doctors applied an anesthetic spray and manually removed the magnets.

“My partner took me to the hospital that she works in because she wanted all her colleagues to laugh at me. The doctors thought it was quite funny, making comments like ‘This is an injury due to self-isolation and boredom”, he said.

Reardon has now decided not to conduct any further experiments with the magnets and face-touching, and instead find other ways to pass the time while at home. Funny, right? The things boredom makes people do!