Also Read - 34 Killed, Hundreds Injured After Earthquake of 6.2 Magnitude Rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi Islands
It’s been just three weeks after Nepal had been through a severe earthquake that fresh tremors hit the region. Powerful tremors were felt in the Himalayan region as well as Asian countries like Afghanistan, China, Indonesia and India on May 12. Tremors measuring 7.4 magnitude were felt at 12:35 pm and another quake measuring 6.3 on Richter scale were felt at around 1:00 pm in Nepal and parts of north India, spreading to all parts of India later. (ALSO READ: Latest News on Nepal Earthquake 2015) Also Read - Mild Intensity Earthquake Jolts Noida, No Damage Reported so Far
An earthquake is an unanticipated natural calamity that can happen anywhere, any time. Hence it is important to be prepared for such a natural calamity. While you must be aware of the safety tips to be considered during an earthquake, you must also consider factors that must be taken care of after the quake. Here are 7 safety tips one must consider after an earthquake: Also Read - Earthquake of Magnitude 4.2 Hits Kareri in Himachal Pradesh
1. After the earth stops shaking, move out of your space and check yourself for injuries, if any.
2. Also check around for casualties. You must seek assistance if needed and help others. If you find an injured person, don’t move them around unless it’s urgent. Use first aid measures to treat them.
3. If you suspect a gas leak, open the windows. Shut off the main gas valves and leave the building but not before informing others of the gas leak. Also, remember not to light a fire or use any electronic items at the site.
4. Turn off the main water valves, too, to prevent wastage of water. (ALSO READ: Earthquake again: Top 9 safety tips to save your life during an earthquake!)
5. Stay out of severely damaged buildings and dilapidated structures, as they may collapse any time. Also, ensure that you report such cases to the authorities as soon as possible.
6. Be prepared for aftershocks of the earthquake. There are high possibilities of experiencing tremors and aftershocks for few days after large earthquakes.
7. Safe in your house, you will have to manage without electricity and water after quakes. Hence, be prepared to move around in the dark. Know how to access emergency supplies and be aware of objects that have shifted during the quake.
8. As a precaution against tsunamis post an earthquake, you must keep away from beaches and low-lying areas. Move to upper floors in a concrete building after the earthquake tremors have died down. Or else, move to an open ground. Be safe! (Edited by Shweta Parande)